turning a greger bass boat into a cat boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by riverbud55, Jan 23, 2008.

1. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    ok restarting this thread after it got lost in the switch of servers:confused2:

Well after having fished out of my 1983 Gregor bass boat this last year and a lot of long nights sitting out on the river waiting for the next big flat hit I think I have pretty much figured out how I’m going to make it into better catfishing boat for fishing on the river. As ya can tell by the pics its also more then ready for a good face lift. Plans call for building a new console and moving it forward 2 feet, a under floor belly gas tank that should hold around 25 gallons of gas, moving a pair of optima battery forward in to new battery storage compartment and adding a optima starting battery to the bilge, getting rid of the old of the low rider drivers seat and passenger seats and replacing with some new bigman high back seats with arms from Cabela’s on new pedestals . Going to also add an anchor winch, a 3 bank on board charger, a larger live well with new water pumps and aerator pump and timers, the live well will also be moved to the rear about 10”.

Some of the problems of the way it is configured now is, the battery s and the gas tank being in bilge hole together, just got to think its an accident waiting to happen, needs some water tight storage, needs some low floor space with seats that are not on top of the deck, needs to have the compartment doors to open with out turning the deck seats upside down. Needs bigger and better setup for a live/bait well, also need to balance the boat out from left to right also needs a dedicated starting battery

Seeing that we own metal fab shop with a full on sheet metal shop shouldn’t have much of a problem in that department

1st pics are of the boat as it is now

Attached Files:

2. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    ok now heres the problems

1st the seats ya got lay back to open the hatch

2nd the gas tanks and the battery in the same compartment and next to each other just plan dumb

3rd shows how the boat sets at rest by lookn at the water scum line, must lean 3" to the right and thats with out me in it

Attached Files:

3. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    and now heres part of the plan from the front the rear

Attached Files:

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Looks like it'll be a cool project - especially since you have a fab shop at your disposal! From the pix and your comments, sounds like once you get the batteries and gas tanks off of the same side of the boat your lean will go away. Good luck with it and keep us posted!

Branden

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The boat's lookin good Dale. I agree with ya on the batteries being in the same compartment with the gas cans. Thats a bad deal. Untill you get one or the other moved, please get rid of those metal cans and get some plastic ones. If one of those batteries turned over against one of those metal cans and grounded out,,,BOOM! You dont have to worry about rust with the plastic ones either, so its a win win situation.
    Keep up the good work.

6. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    heres some more of the before

1st an over all veiw

2nd old drivers compartment

3rd old live well

Attached Files:

7. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    yea the gas tanks are a thing of the past, going to have a belly tank put in, alway put a pc of ply wood between the tank and batterys

pics are near the end of the 1st day (yesterday)of gutting it out,

by the end of today (forgot my cam today so no pics from today)got the old carpet striped of the sides and 80% done of getting the glue striped and cleaned off of all the alum were the new carpet will be installed, yes I think ill be putting in new carpet, I use my boat On the colorado river witch is in the desert and the days in mid summer get 120* to 125* every day with some very very bright sun, and bear feet are the norm, i know my buddys truck has lite gray rino lining in it and ya fry in egg on it out there in the summer.

also got the old flotation out and the rest of alum striped out thats not going to be used in the remodel

Attached Files:

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Dale, looks as you've got a project going for that Gregor... cant wait to see the changes that you have indicated.... You mentioned the anchor winch... I'm not sure if you have seen this item on the BOC. but with the fast water that you get up by the wier, I thought that you might like to look at this anchor idea by a fellow member....

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66522

keep us posted on the progress...

Bayrunner Ray

9. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Dale,

I am really interested to see how this project turns out. The old look really was a sight for sore eyes!!! :) I remember the last time I was there, you had more pieces of scrap carpet coming off of that thing than any of us could count.

I like how you have everything laid out. It should work and look nice when it is done.

Ryan

10. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hey Dude, good to see the project is under way, the boat already looks better!! Kinda looks like one of them rednick cruse liners, Ya know the kind they can put 20 family members in for a day on the pond. HEY is that my stinkbait in the seat??
    Later Bill

11. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Bill,

That's not your Premo Stinkbait, that's Dale's cologne!!! LOL

I wonder how many hooks and sinkers and other stuff he's findin' in that boat.

Ryan

12. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hey Ryan he will find more than we buy in a year. I would bet he finds stuff he bought a year ago and put in the boat and never saw again until now.
    Bill

13. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Bill, Ryan u guys:smile2: that sure was some good stuff spelt all down in side, dam plastic jugs. bill found $8 in change under the live well :big_smile:, thinkn the old owners thought the live well was a wishing well, wishn for the big 1 LOL:smile2:. ya know that’s something i forgot about, a place for just the stink bait:0a24:always had a spot before, be cool to figure a way to heat it up in a insulated compartment emm

Anyways made some more progress today, but ran into a very unexpected problem, the transom is all dry rotted that was behind the flotation foam, so we had to tear the splash well out and cut the angled braces from the floor to the transom out to make room to fit the new one in, not sure what im going to replace it with yet, all ideas are welcome, what cam out was 4 pieces of plywood stacked that added up to 1 5/8” thick , thinking I may use some 1” tube sandwiched between a piece ¼” and a piece of 3/8 alum plates, I think the aluminum would make it better but its going to a weigh a little more but it will last a life time just not sure if there’s a reason for the wood, it’s a good thing anyways I’m doing all this cuz when I pulled the steel bolts out they were half way rust through and that include the bolt that hold the engine on,, man I can not believe that factory would install steel bolt in an alum. boat and its not just in one spot its all over the dang thing

Took the boat off of the trailer getting the trailer ready for its make over, going to put some running boards on to make getting in the boat when its on the trailer a lot easier , new bunks and guides, going to add a storage box for the spare tires and jack and all new wiring and lights with a fresh paint job.

Attached Files:

14. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    heres the pics of the transom notice the steel bolts and the rooted out wood in the first pic

the 2nd is after the wood got removed

Attached Files:

15. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    missed a pic some how

Attached Files:

16. Massive Cat

Massive Cat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It is looking good but can't wait to see the finshed product. Keep up the good work.

17. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    ya me to, Im already getting withdrawls from not being out on the water:sad2:

thinkn about gettting somthing to clean and polish out the outside, i have read about some stuff called shark hide https://secure.harrispublishing.com/cart/products.jsp?ma=zzmM anybody ever use it? Still thinking about what im going to use for carpet

18. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    hey I vote for 2" White shag carpet nice and cool and so soft on bear feet.