Turned off the bubbles?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gibbzilla, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    What exactly does this mean when someone says they turned off the bubbles to the lake, which decreased the shad population?

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Gibby,
    Remember the other day I told you that there are no stupid questions. I have never heard the term you speak of so maybe we can both learn something...W

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Never heard that expression either:roll_eyes: .

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have never heard that term also .I have seen aerators in small lakes that could be what they are referring to.

5. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
  6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My local lake "Lake Grapevine" uses an aeriator doing the late spring/summer time. The bubbles attract millions on shad. I saw a guy throw a cast net into this area and catch about 30 pounds of shad in 1 throw.

The purpose of the aeriator is to release oxygen into the lake during the warm months to help the fish survive. During the winter the process is turned off.

My guess would be this is what there talking about.

One last thing though. Its a misconception that the bubbles increase or decrease the shad population. It simply draws them in. And during the winter when the shad population is very low its because of the shad kill that happens each year, not the bubbles.