Turn signals on trailer?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by BIG GEORGE, May 6, 2009.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Got everything else except my turn signals. They work on the truck but not the trailer. Should I start with grounds? Connection from trailer to truck is by a cannon plug type harness. Plug in to the back of the truck and then ya got the two connectors that ya put together in the male female fashion. Whata ya say? THANX!

2. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Always best to start with grounds first

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I had the same problem with my turn signals on my boat trailer. It was a blown fuse in the power fuse box in my truck.. Maybe check your vehicles owners manual and find the fuse that relates to the turn signals on your trailer, I'm guessing, but not 100% sure that it blown!! Hope this helps you!!

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Start at the connector coming off the truck with a test light and make sure everything is working at the connector.

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj

yup i agree with this. start with the plug on the truck make sure you have voltage there. then work your way back. i bet its the ground though.

6. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
  7. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    If you have brake lights on the trailer, you should have turn signals. That being said, some of the newer vehicles have turn signals separate from the turn signals. Very good advice has been given about using the test light. If the test light shows that there is power at the vehicle side of the adapter, plug in the lights and check the two wires on the trailer side. If both of those are good, go back to the lights and check to see if you're getting the turn signal flash before the wire goes into the light. To aid in the check of a bad ground, take a pair of jumper cables and attach one end to a good ground on the truck and the other end on the trailer. Make sure you're not clamping the cables to rusty areas to ensure a good connection. Then turn on your signals to see if they work. If so, take a wire brush and clean the inside of the trailer hitch.

I had a trailer that I couldn't keep grounded one time. When I was moving it worked, but when It was stopped, sometimes it didn't. I couldn't keep a good ground through the trailer ball and eventually had to run a separate ground wire from the trailer to the truck. I used a quick connect electrical connector and taped it along side the existing wiring harness. Of course that meant that I had to unplug two different things though.

Good luck, and I hope you've already got it fixed.

Good Post above Stan. Thats good information about the different vehicles.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    BG Invest in a good 12 volt test light,Check for voltage at the vehicle plug first ,Then check ground[trailer ball is clean not greasy] Most trailers are chassis ground. Then just work your way back. If the rest of the lights are working,it may be a broken wire or simply a bad bulb.

9. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Thanx Joey, That link would be a good one for the archives on the BOC.
    There are so many different types of plugs, 3,4,5,6,7 wire plugs along with a zillion truck, van,car wiring harness. If ya don't have a good ground, you'll never know if it will work. If BG has tail and brake lights working on trailer then ground is most likely OK. Could be broken wire on trailer harness too. I'll bet on the broken wire !!!!:wink:

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Newer trucks also require a converter. You may check with your auto parts store to see if your vehicle requires one.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Stick your tongue on the plug and see if it tingles!!!:smile2:

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Better than a test lite. :eek:oooh:

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
  14. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    BG, use hand signals...LOL

15. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'll bet ya most folks don't even remember the one for rite turn or slowin down. LOL! I remember those days. Thanx for the memory.

16. trlrman

trlrman New Member

State:
    texas
    what kind of truck and year model ?if its 2000 and up you have a seperate pkg for towing with fuses chevy trlr fuses on side of dash next to door ,00-06 ford under the hood drivers side next to hinge,06-09 ford under steering wheel,99-05 dodge under hood like fords,06-09 dodge NO fuses reflash at dealer then put some fuses in line ! if you have the newer dodge pm me and i will explain where and how to inline fuse it

17. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    not sure what kind of truck you got.. I spent about 2.5 - 3 hours one weekend. Rewiring, checking, etc. trying to find the short.. Was to the point that I was going to start ripping through the harness... decided to glance through the owners manual before I did and realized that there were separate fuses for left and right and tail lights and turn signals.. Check your fuses first BG, may save you some time and money......

Also, Volt meter mighty handy to use :wink:

18. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    BG, If you give us a little more info on your stuff like same setup, worked yesterday but not today, different trailer, different truck, ya know, stuff like that. Then we can get ya pointed in the right direction and then just follow the directions like this,
    1) laydown some newspaper next to trailer tire.
    2) get on all fours.
    3) try to touch your nose to your right knee
    4) bark like a dog.....LOL

19. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    OK. Same setup I've had for years. 2002 dodge ram 1500. It just got more interestin before the litenin chased me in. Took off the lites on the trailer. They are those encased kind. Bulbs good. Cleaned and resecured the grounds with nice new hardware. Got my turn signals back. Problem is now they both flash regardless of wich one ya put on. LOL! Also lost my tail lites now. LOL! I'm thinkin some well placed plastic charges and buy Mac's Sundance. LOL! I ain't done yet. :confused2:

20. trlrman

trlrman New Member

State:
    texas
    make sure the bulbs went back correctly sounds like one is backwards giving feedback thru running lights. i.e. touching both connections in the recptical with stud on bulb