Turkeys with a bow

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by blindfly69, Aug 13, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well brothers as the fall is comin up quick im thinkin about taking turkeys with a bow....i know only a few people who have even tried it and my uncle has done it quite a few times... i think it would be the ultimate test of a hunter's skill. have any of you ever killed a turkey with a bow?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I haven't but if you can get one thats awesome. Fall hunting even with a shotgun is even pretty difficult. If you decide to do it I wish you the best of luck.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive tried but no luck, Im not much of a turkey guy though.

4. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    A blind would be your best friend pretty much anytime you are bowhunting a turkey. Yet sometimes in the fall you cant pattern them like you could in spring. Not saying you cant but it will be more difficult. They are much more grouped together so its either you are seeing turkeys or you wont see any at all. I would in the fall just try to spot and stalk and shoot the first bird that comes by. A lot of people like to use mechanical broadheads so they can stay in the bird after the shot so it cant fly away.

5. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    same here im all about the deer but i've always wondered

6. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    i was thinking about that today ive decided dad can take a gun but i wanna use a recurve
    :big_smile:

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use to try and even managed a few tail feathers on the arrow but that was it. Accidentally on purpose got a tree rat one time though. I was aiming at him and did take the shot only thing is I hit another one I didn't even see, but didn't say anything then just struted like I did it on purpose.

8. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey look at your bow shop boy. their is a new arrow head with 4 4 inch razors on it and it will slice the head off the turkey and kills it instantly and no harm to the meat. just the head! :lol: :lol: i think its 10 or 15 bucks for one of em!

9. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Love chasing fall turkeys with a bow!!!!!!!!!!! I don't get to do it anymore with my job(video duck hunts for the Duck Commander). Maybe one day in the future I'll get to again. I would recommend an expandable broadhead and I like my poundage set around 60. Aggressive calling works for me. Good luck and God bless.

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've been fortunate enough to take 5 turkeys with my bow, including my biggest spring gobbler at 23.25 lbs. and 3 hens and 1 gobbler in the fall. Contrary to popular belief, gobblers can and will sometimes respond to calling like they do in the spring. My fall gobbler was taken by scouting a flock of 6 gobblers, and moving in on them in the darkness with a blind and a full spread of decoys. When it got light enough for them to see my decoys from their tree, they immediately started gobbling. Next thing I knew they were all flying right into the decoy spread. I ended up taking a 21lber at less than 5 paces. My other fall turkeys were taken out of my tree stand while deer hunting.

11. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have never tried to take a turkey with a bow. I also was thinking of giving it a try this year. It does take better archery skills and great consealment. Good luck to ya!!