Turkey with a bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Bigbluefisherman, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Last night I went out bow hunting. I only saw 3 deer ( 1 doe, 1 yearling and 1 8 point! At about 630pm i had about a dozen gobblers come in, one of the birds was the one of the biggest bearded birds I have ever seen! I had one come into about 15 yds and he caught me about half way back in my draw so I didn't get a shot @ him, but about 5 minutes later or so I had the big bearded bird come into about 20yds. I pulled my bow back took aim and let her fly. I hit him what I thought was perfect! He flopped around for a couple of seconds and then he jumped up and took off running through the timber. I immediatly got down and started after him. I followed blood for about 100yards and never ended up finding him! Man that is frustrating! I am going to go out after work and see if i can find him in the daylight! Has anyone else had this happen???

2. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    ya know a lot of people think you have to have a hunting dog for these things- and to a degree thats true- last year I hit a deer with a bow and let my maltese get out of the truck to go siff him down lol. If ya got a buddys dog a lot of times they will naturally follow the smell of blood.

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I have done that very thing just to end up never finding my bird. The dog trick usually works, we have done that with deer and turkeys both.

Good luck

4. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i have heard this happen a lot with bow turkey hunting.. they have a gobbler arrow tip called the gobbler guilotine. its shaped like a big cross with about a 4 inch diameter. there are 4 blades that make it look like a cross and you aim at the head and what its supposed to do is either brake its neck or cut the head off completely! u might want to look into this arrow head.

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've seen a video on those, the turkey's head just popped right off! One of the coolest things i've ever seen! :lol:

6. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Search for turkey antomny pics to become familiar with the vitals. the vitals are pretty high up on the bird. I shoot them in the spine and they dont run or fly. "Hit em high, watch em die, hit em low, watch go".