Turkey Time

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by bwanatony, Apr 23, 2008.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Here we are with two of the eight toms that volunteered to go home with us. They saw the decoys and came on the run. We spent 20 minutes in the blind. I hope the attachment works...
    Got yours yet Sparky?

Attached Files:

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    nice toms there , congrats too both ya........

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats! Nice birds.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good birds!!! Nice work and congrats.

5. mich dave

mich dave New Member

State:
    Otisville
    Just saw two long beards in the woods. there not talking at all over here but there with hen's. I got the wrong season, it don't start till monday and if the leave's keep popping at this rate they'll won't be there come "the time". Next year I'll look thing's over before appling.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats some nice looking toms that you got there congradulations on the turkey glad to hear that you got you all some, I bet that is some good eating right there.

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    I should have mentioned, the 19 pounder (mine) had an 11" beard, and the 20.5 pounder had a 9.5" beard.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice birds,Thanks for the pics.

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Tony,
    It looks and sounds like you had a great hunt.
    After three hard days of being in the woods at 5:30am., at 10:30am on the third day, I had a three year old bird come into visit my decoy. At 18yds, he lost his head with 2 oz. of #5 shot. He weighed 20lbs., had a 10 3/4" beard and 1 in.spurs. He was a real dandy. ( sorry, no picture)
    Sparky

10. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I have a friend that has been hunting turkeys for the past 22 years. He has managed to miss three birds, ( he has no clue what 40yds is), scare the heck out of many and had the unforunate hunts where the birds just wouldn't come to call. Being that this fellow teaches in a public school, his hunting time is limited. That doesn't mean he doesn't give it the ole college try, cause he does. Finally after all those years of trying, he bagged his first Tom the opening morning at 7:15am. 19lbs. - 8 1/2" beard - and 3/4" spurs.
    Congatulations to Tom Kitchen for his first and long a waited bird.

Now for another great Turkey Tale.
    I have another friend, who has a 10yr old son, who is so interested in hunting, it's unbelievable. I made him two turkey calls over a year ago ( Box call and a wing bone call). Needless to say he practiced with them both, til he could talk turkey quite well. Two months ago, he passed his hunters safety class test with a score of 95% and has talked about nothing else but the Spring Turkey hunt.
    The opening morning, I hunted with his mother, and he hunted with his Dad.
    This young man was unbelievable! He was in his blind at 5:30am. After 4hrs of hunting, Mom and I both got a case of bucket bottom and left the woods. Mark never once said to his dad that he wanted to leave the woods and go home. At 12:24pm, Mark killed a 23 1/2lb Tom, 11" beard and had 1" spurs. All of this was caught on video type. What a great way to start a young man out in the sport of hunting. Needless to say, Mom and Dad are still Turkeyless. There is one week-end left. Good luck Joe & Kate.
    Sparky

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Great story, Sparky.
    This year was my first turkey, too, in my fourth year of turkey hunting.
    I could have had one a few years back, if I was left handed.
    This year, there were so few hens and so many toms on the farm we hunted, that the competition for hens was fierce! They charged the decoys so hard & so fast we had to shoot in self defense!
    Tony

12. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I've had that happen too, in years past. This year was a different story, I had to really work for the bird I got, but it was worth it.
    Congrats on your first bird! I have always said, once you get that first bird, you're hooked for life.
    Sparky

13. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:

Right on. The years that I had to run, sit, and call over and over to follow the gobbles were actually more fun. Nice to have meat in the pot and a beard on the wall, though.
    Tony