Turkey Question

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by SkiMax, Apr 26, 2006.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    My roommate got his turkey today it's a real nice turkey. We were inspecting it this afternoon and found that it has 5 seperate beards. Is this rare? I thought it was rare for a turkey to have two, but 5???

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Very nice bird!
    Not sure how rare it may be, have only seen a few with multiple beards. Never seen one with 5. Way to go!!!

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is different, got any pics you can share with us?

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    it had multiple roots all in a vertical line down its breast

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I saw a multibearded hen several times that were taken in my area. I dont think its as rare anymore. Not sure if its inbreeding or just some genetic tick. Cool to see tho.

6. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It all depends on the area that your hunting in. I know that some areas hold many multiple bearded birds. I have taken several double's and a couple of triple bearded, and even 1 quadruple bearded bird since moving here to the showe me state. All of these birds have come from basically the same area. Back home in VA it was a rarity to come across any multiple bearded birds. I think most of it is based on genetics. All that aside a 5 bearded bird is an AWSOME bird. Congragulations and continue to hunt that area I would be surprised if you do not get any more with multiple beards.

7. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Last year year my buddy shot a 7 bearded turkey. Pretty young still to.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I will get picks on here as soon as I can. I guess I should know the genetics stuff since I'm a biology major working on a PhD in genetics. But I guess if number of beards is a genetic trait then it would be. I just figured number of beards would be caused by environment (like the size fish get too, even though they do have genetic traits for size it is mostly affect by environment). Maybe this is just another step in the evolutionary trail of turkeys though