Turkey Livers

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by ronlyn239, Feb 2, 2008.

1. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I have read somewhere, probably on the BOC board, about turkey livers as bait for blues. Any of you Okies had experience with turkey livers? Where do you get them?

Compare, if you would, their effectiveness compared to other baits, like Danny King, or dip baits, or chicken livers. Nothing compares to fresh shad or live sunfish, but you get the idea........

2. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    I've never tried turkey livers, but I do know that buffalo liver works real good. It's tough so it stays on the hook and won't get taken off easily.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I prefer Danny Kings punch bait over any kind of liver. I have used turkey liver and the only advantage it has over chicken liver is it's a little bit tougher. I prefer rabbit liver over the other two.

4. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have never used turkey livers but i have used chicken livers for flatties and they work pretty good.

5. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Also if your using livers wrap them in small pieces of panty hose to keep them on the hook(you probably already know that) it will really keep your bait together and on the hook.

6. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    You use liver for flatheads? I've only ever caught one flathead so I don't have any personal experience but I've read that flatheads, especially big flatheads, will hardly ever bite on anything but live fish.

That would be cool if chicken liver works on flatheads too because it's my favorite channel cat bait.

7. hookslinger

hookslinger Member Supporting Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    I've used turkey liver for channel cats, works good stays on the hook and refreezes well. Chicken liver falls apart after you refreeze it.

8. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I like most of the baits mentioned,but the best thing I have found that will stay on the hook is chicken or turkey gizzards.These things are so tuff you have trouble getting them off the hook. You can't even cast them off.I do prefer fresh instead of frozen though. JMO. Allen

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use chicken livers often for channel cats. I always use fresh...never ones that have been frozen. I raised 2 dozen turkeys a couple of years ago for the table..I fished with their livers and they do stay on the hook well and seem to work just as well as chicken livers.
    :wink: