Turkey liver vs. Dip Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Sep 21, 2008.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Went out Saturday to our favorite small channel cat lake.We were running low on turkey liver so my buddy Kevin brought his giant stash of dip bait. I stuck with the tried and true turkey liver. {I have another 40lb case coming in on Tuesday but that didn't help us this weekend.] He tried Secret 7, Sonny's Super Sticky,Premo, Junnies and 3 or 4 others at different depths. We were in areas baited with soybeans and feed pellets teeming with hungry channel cats.The results were Turkey liver 15 channel cats 2 little ones 13 between 4 lbs and 11 lbs.Dip bait 0 fish ,3 or 4 weak bites. This parralels my other findings earlier this summer where the surfacing fish actually hit the bobber but not the dip worm. Suffice it to say however that 15 fish is my worst trip of the year and I probably won't go back till next year. Here are some pics of the turkey liver eating little boogers.Any of you guys using chicken liver should try the turkey some time it comes in much bigger chunks,stays on the hook much better and costs only about 55 cents a pound when you buy it bulk.

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Eric thanks for sharing your fiishing trip and survey of baits. Enjoyed the pics. Nice fish.

3. lakeside

lakeside New Member

State:
    arizona
    where do you get your turkey liver?

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Eric thats some nice fish.

5. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Any Grocery store around Thanksgiving or Christmas. Or find a meat market that can order it by the 40 lb case for you.Offer to pay in advance. Jennie-O turkey company is who the supplier is. Last year we were getting them from Cargill out of Wichita, Kansas. When it comes in I thaw the whole case and separate it into heavy duty 1 gallon freezer bags and refreeze it. I thaw it in the fridge as needed but make sure you do it in a plastic tub or you will have turkey blood all over the inside of your fridge and you will learn about marital strife.

6. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have to admit the turkey liver did work well, I was totally out done. We had great time I think our biggest fish that day was 10lbs. 9 oz. so it was well worth it.

I think on our three fishing trips we are definately getting better.

7. jc4thecross

jc4thecross New Member

State:
    Tn.
    Nice report, my wife would not let that in her fridge, and Momma always wins:smile2:

8. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Yep you're right if I had permanent power in my boat shed instead of a 100 ft extension cord I would have a fridge and a bait tank.It's only in there the night before I go fishing... sometimes I'll throw a couple of frozen bags in the livewell to thaw them with lake water.Just remember you put them in the livewell or else they will not age like a fine wine.When you open the livewell door the smell will knock you to your knees after a couple weeks of 90 degree weather. The maggots will attract extra fish however. I think I dumped the bag in a 5 gallon and put the lid on it to use for chum the next time out:cool2:.

9. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have to say I will be ordering me a case in November.

10. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I never thought of using Turkey liver. I have used chicken liver though.