Turkey Heaven Or Just Plain Luck?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by michiganwhitetailRLM, Jul 22, 2006.

1. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    im Really Hoping To Get A Turkey Permit This Fall. This Is The Third Time Ive Applied For A Turkey Permit With No Luck The First Two Times. I Love To Deerhunt And Seem To Have Gobblers All Over Me During Bow Season. Im Going To Try Hunting Them With My Bow If I Do Get A Permit This Fall. Dose Anyone Hunt Turkey With A Bow, If So, Are There Speacial Arrowheads To Use And Should I Tune The Poundage Down On My Bow? Any Info Would Be Great!

2. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I would recommend using an expandable broadhead such as Spitfire. They do a number on gobblers. As for poundage, you definitely want to be able to hold the bow drawn for at least a minute or longer, so I use a 60-65 lb. draw weight. Hope you get drawn!!!!!!!! If you need any more help, just ask. GOd bless.

3. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Rick,

I am a serious spring turkey hunter with shotgun. But, I want to get one with a bow. Like you, I have seen birds while bow hunting for deer and I have taken a shot but missed.

There is no permit required here in Arkansas for turkey. They are legal during the archery deer season in most areas.

I have talked to everyone that indicated they bow hunt turkey. Most recommend that the arrow stay in the bird. If shot from the side, this prevents the bird from being able to fly. So, I have set my bow to 47# and at 65% drop, I can hold for a while.

About the broadhead, check your regulations because in KY, where I sometimes hunt, you can use nothing on the arrow that is designed to keep the arrow in the bird. Like the add on grabbers that slide over your arrow.

I plan to use the same muzzle 100 grain I use for deer. Also, I was able to purchase an Ameristep pop-up blind this spring. Couldn't afford the double-bull. If you have hunted turkey before, you know any movement will end your hunt quick, so stay hidden.

Good luck.

Robert

4. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have managed to kill quite a few turkeys with my bow here in missouri. like it has been said, i prefer the arrow to stay in the bird. but i dont make any changes to my setup to do so. i have shot them with both expandable broadheads and fixed muzzys. the expandables did a heck of alot of damage........birds didnt make it very far. the main thing about it is drawing alot earlier than you think you should. when i see birds coming in, i try to draw as early as i can inorder to hide the movement. just make sure you can hold your bow atleast a minute or more and still remain comfortable. good luck

5. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Thanks for the feedback! Im good to go on my equipment from the information im getting. now all i need is a little luck drawing a permitt! GOODLUCK THIS FALL!

6. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    As for arrow placement, you'll want to aim for the thigh/hip area. This will immobilize the turkey and allow you to dispatch of him quickly if need be. If you hit high, you'll get the vitals and if you miss low, you'll miss, so next to the head shot with the gobbler guillotine, this is the most effective shot. God bless.