Turkey for catifishing bait - Does anyone use this?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by katfish hunter, Jan 1, 2006.

1. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    Some of my buds swear by really fatty pieces of cooked turkey.Has anyone tried turkey with good results?

2. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Certain catfish will eat anything, so its worth a try.

3. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    if it stinks a little or gives off a good scent trail it will work on channel cats no doubt. i once caught a small channel cat using the butt from a cigarette i just smoked. turkey will work. especially if there biting well. flatheads will want live baitfish or crayfish. never caught a blue before, but i hear cutbait and shad work nice

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Never used turkey, but was out in a boat once with a buddy of mine and he caught a 3lb channel on some fried chicken skin.

5. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Port Rhind is very good

especially if you can get it about an inch thick, if cubed and used as feed (as well as on the hook) you only need a dozen pieces to cover a square yard.

if you grid these square yards of river bottom and bait them regular all you need do is cast to your spots.

If you bait several grids with pork fat cubes the oil leakage and time release is much better than a blood trail.

If the wind is on the water you will see flat spots from the pork fat cubes being disturbed on the bottom indicating feeding fish.

Pork fat is cheap, most butchers will probably give it to you.

if your fishing a grid of these cubes try using a pigs ear on the hook

Hope this helps Katfish Hunter

6. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    A buddy of mine does pretty good on jack rabbit.

7. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Never thought about using anything from a turkey except livers or occasionally "guts" (rarely, only from wild turkey). We have had good luck with squirrel liver, rabbit liver and sliced pork liver. I don't eat domestic turkey (gives me indigestion) so I wouldn't normally have any "fatty" turkey around and the only other turkey I consume in any quantity comes in a bottle. Who knows? Give it a try, but I'll bet if you put a drop of pure anise oil on it you will catch fish.