Turkey Decoys while Deer Hunting?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by CatfishHateMe, Aug 9, 2007.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i was putting my turkey decoys up today and going through all my deer hunting stuff making a check list (I kno its early but you can never be over prepaired:big_smile:) and i got to thinkin, what if i took a turkey decoy and put it out about 15-20 yards away from me when i was deer huntin? would that ease the deer a little bit seeing there is a turkey right there in a relaxed enviorment and maybe keep them calmed down a little while moving through my stand? or would this not work at all? thanks for any imput.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It's like taking a shower, washing and hanging your clothes on the line, etc. I can be smoking a cigarette, drinking a beer and taking a leak and they will walk right in front of me. Depends on the sign of the moon. Wouldn't hurt if you don't mind hauling it along.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The few times I turkey hunt with decoys I see more deer than I do turkeys. Id give it a try if you dont mind lugging it out there. I figure if they think theres a turkey there it's pretty safe for them too.

4. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    it works both ways, a deer will check an area such as an open field before entering. A turkey will do the same from time to time. I have used deer decoys while turkey hunting and had success and i have also used turkey decoys while deer hunting and had success with them too. It will also distract the deer's attention away from you and to the decoy occasionally.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Been there, done that. Will again if the conditions warrant it. One piece of advice though, ok, several.
    The decoys work. Boy do they work! I place mine several hundred yards away in the middle of the field or on the other side. The deer take one look an come right on into the field. They know there would be no turkeys there if there was any danger. (fools)
    Do not put those turkey decoys that close. If in the woods, put them at least 200 ft away. If you hunt a field, put them on the opposite side of the field or at least as far away as you can. The reasoning is, you want the deer to be watching the turkeys for danger signs. If you are near them, they might see you while looking at the decoys.
    I only use the decoys during my evening hunt. It's bad enough walkin around the field setting them up, in the afternoon. It would be impossible to do that before daylight, with the deer still in the fields.
    I set up several decoys. I use 4 eatin hens and two bobblehead jakes. At times, I also will use my doe decoy a few hundred yards into the field, also.
    Now the bad part. I got enough work to do haulin them deer carcases out, the decoys just make it more work. Seriously, it take a lot to haul them all in and set them up, much less take them down after dark.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I had to laugh fellas. One of my few days last season turkeys "gave me up" after I got my stand up. It took me a few for to realize it was me they were PO'd at. LOL I'm not a very good hunter.

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    As a bow hunter and having spent hours and hours of time watching wildlife, I have noticed something in my neck of the woods. Turkeys run down deer trails and have eyes like a eagle any little movement will spook them. Well one night I saw the usual group coming down deer trail when a coyottee spook them well those turkeys started chattering and then the woods was full of deer stamping and blowing thru their noses. Since then I have come to believe that the deer are the turkeys front line scouts if the turkeys dont spook the deer come behind them. Weird eh?:tounge_out:

8. JKeeney20

JKeeney20 New Member

State:
    Lucasville, Ohio
    My neighbor killed a 160" buck last year at the edge of a field with turkey decoys out. He said the buck walked to the edge, looked around and walked right out where the turkey decoys where placed....so you never can tell!

9. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try taking a mouth call with you, if you get busted by deer make a few yelps and the deer will calm down. If you hunt from a tree this works great, the deer really do not know what you are but they might just pass you off for a turkey instead of something they are not sure about. They are used to turkeys beeing in the trees. I have never tried the turkey decos but might just be worth a try

10. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    While turkey hunting in the spring, I put my decoys out and made a few clucks here and there and low and behold a curious doe came in to see what was going on. I seen this happen many times during turkey hunting. Watched many turkey following a deer through a deer trail during the spring and have watched many turkey using a deer trail during the fall. However, I tested this theory last year. I put my decoys out on a known deer trail, and my husband and I sat in a deer stand. We watched a doe and a yearling fawn coming up the trail. When they got within about 100 yards of this decoy, she stopped, looked, stomped her feet, and went way out and around this decoy. I don't know if it was because she had a fawn with her yet, but she wanted nothing to do with this decoy in the fall. Oh we also had calls with us and she wanted nothing to do with them either. I am not sure if their relationship with turkey's is different in the fall then it is in the spring. But I am curious, so please let me know how it works out for you.

11. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Another reason to set your dec's up far away from you. For some reason in the fall of the year the sound of a hawk puts a turkey on major alert. The first sound of a red tail hawk and the turkey's are looking up and running. They will spot you in a tree and bust ya! The turkey run and the deer run too.

12. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think the decoys do set the deer's mind at ease. I always take my slate turkey call into the woods with me as well...for a number of reasons. I like to practice my turkey calling (because it ain't that great and needs work), it will cover any noise you may have made and save you from a spook. But the number one reason is that the calling and decoys bring in Mr. Coyote...our mortal enemy. We have a cardinal rule in our deer woods...all predators must die! Mr. Coyote is the leader of this predator group and public enemy number 1. The farmer who owns the property we hunt on raises cattle and goats. Mr. Coyote costs him a lot of $$$ every year. I am happy to help reduce the population.