Turkey Calls

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Chris, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I really dont know alot about turkey calls yet because I have just begun learning about hunting turkey, what suggestion do you have for the different types of calls?

chris

2. flathead willy

flathead willy New Member

State:
    Madison, MS
    I typically use slate calls or box calls because they are much easier to use than a mouth call. They also make these push button calls that look fairly easy to operate.

3. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Honestly have used them all. And all i can say is LEARN TO USE THE MOUTH CALL REALLY WELL. This is my point... slate calls, box calls all require movement. "I don't like to get busted!"

ALSO you can do alot different calls with a mouth. gobble, ki-ki run, basic yelp, purr

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use my glass call, since you can use it in the rain. Also my slate calls. I did use mouth calls ,but they make me gag...lol

5. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i agree with the whole learn to use a mouth call thing.you can work a bird in those last few critical yards with 0 movement.
    I have had alot of birds fall to a good slate call as well and on those windy days nothing beats a good box call....the best thing you can do is just decide for your self what style of call you feel most comfortable with and learn to use it as well as possible.....the main call you need to learn are the clucks and purrs.most of the time fast action yelping is not needed,i will only use yelps just before day break while th ebirds are still roosted{tree yelps,soft and sutle} or when i need to get a bird away from hens i may throw out some fast and loud yelping,this usaully will bring the hens in and the tom will follow.....like i said learn a call and learn it well.learn to purr and cluck first then move to yelping.....good luck

6. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I know that turkeys have very good eye sight, how much camo do you usually wear, would a ghillie suit be suitable along with the ghillie cover for my shotgun also I only have a 20gauge for now would that be sufficent to use for turkey? What size load and size choke?

chris

7. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I might not be much help, as i haven't been hunting as long as most, but i really prefer to use the mouth calls. I've tried using the box calls a little, and it just seems like the diaphram calls sound better to me. Its really a personal preference, but the mouth calls will help you bring them in that last few critcal steps. As far as good sight, its not good at all. Its unbelievable. They say that a turkey can see you blink through the woods from 200 yards away. I dont know how much truth there is to that, but i certainly wouldn't doubt it. I was lucky enough to kill my first turkey last year and it was a really fun experience. The best part of turkey hunting is getting to hear the big toms gobble as the sun is coming up. Last year, they gobbled opening day and thats it. Didnt hear another gobble the rest of the year, but it was still fun. Now, as far as your gun, the 20ga should be fine. Most people tend to use a 12ga though. For a choke, most people use a full or xtra-full choke. I would reccomend buying a good turkey load and going out and patterning your gun well before season so you can adjust if necessary. My gun has an adjustable choke, only one i've ever seen like it, and i crank it all the way down as far as it will go. The more choke, the tighter your pattern will stay. Bass-pro or Cabelas should sell the turkey head targets for patterning your gun. Im not sure on how many pellets you want to hit in the head or neck area, but it really only takes one good pellet to kill a turkey, the rest are just insurance ;) Oh, and by the way, your gonna regret ever getting in to turkey hunting, its more addictive than cocaine or herion could ever be :D

8. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    i would agree with learning the mouth call, i use it more than any other call. it takes a while to get good at it but when u get it to make some good noise it will be your favorite. Always were full camo when hunting them, they can pick you off fairly easy. that means face mask and gloves. now for a ghillie suit you can but not needed. that would be cool to have one though just cuz. i have shot 20 gauge at turkeys and i shot #4 and #5 and they did fine. i also you used an xtra full choke.

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont turkey hunt much at all but may next year. The only time I called in birds within shooting distance was with a mouth call. Ive got a box call as well and like it too. I learned how to use the mouth call in a couple days but it can gag you. Id get a couple different calls and then tape some turkey hunts off tv and try to duplicate them.

10. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Well I guess a mouth call is fine and for close work is great but like someone said they also gag me (might be because I have false teeth though) so I like box and slate calls the best. I personally don't think turkey are that smart. I had broke my leg a few years back and would sit outside in my front yard and turkey would be in the yard with me just strutting around and doing turkey things. If the screen door banged they would gobble, it the dogs barked the turkeys gobbled, why if I coughed they gobbled. I've seen men say to turkey who's you daddy and the turkeys gobbled. All turkey were wild turkey. This is the truth....

11. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Chris,I wear as much camo as i possibly can,all the way down to my socks{never wear red,white or blue socks ;) } i wear a under brush suite and have 3-D camo tape on my bow and shotgun.a turkeys eye sight is far beyond awsome and.well i shouldnt say its thier eye site.its more there ability to pick up on the slightest motion.and as far as the 20ga for a turkey gun.most definatly! alot of folks get carried away and think they need the big bores but{including myself lol} but they forget the stopping power of the good ole 20....the 20ga i have now is the one my wife uses to kill turkey it is a remington 870 express youth gun capabale of shooting 3" mags,3" winchesters in #5 shot shot the best patterns from this gun with a undertaker choke tube and a ceapo 3x9 scop its a lil turkey killin machine,2 years ago i watched as my wife layed over a nice bird at 30yrds flopped his old head rite over,before then i thought 20-25yrds was pushing it with a 20ga but after that shot id say shes good to dern near 40yrds which is all ill shoot with my 12ga 3 1/2" gun or my 10ga....just try a bunch of differant loads and stick with a extra full choke {HS Strut undertaker is the brand i like and its fairly cheap at around 20 bucks} shoot alot and get a fill for it and most of all have fun and be safe.....good luck

12. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    The sound of the door slamming, making them gobble is called a "shock gobble" I.e. Owl hooter is used for this, LOCATOR CALL.

There not dumb, JUST BASICALLY IN RUT, like bucks
    They get crazy, and think with the little head instead of the big one :)

13. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I got some camo tape at wal-mart this evening, has anyone put this stuff on their shotgun and how long do you leave it on there, is there a trick to wrapping it up?

chris

14. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Chris,
    I wouldn't do it man !!! No tape

One thing is it gets all sticky afterwards, takes about half bottle of hoppe's to get it all off. lol

plus if it gets wet it'll keep dampness and be more prone to rust :eek:

The only gun i ever done it to was an old model 12 lil on the rough edge.
    didn't do it any justice.

15. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    it can be done without messing up th efinish of your gun.do it closer to season and when ya do wipe your gun down with some sort of oil{i use rem oil} if you hunt in the rain dont leave the tape on after the hunt for any period of time.itll get a rust coat under the tape.the tape i use is that 3-D tape and it not very wide and the tape is foam.its ok but it peels off real easy but a bit of electricle tape or duct tape on the ends will fix that.its not the best but its cheaper then having your gun camoed or buying a new camo gun....i use to just take an old camo t-shirt and rip it up and tie the strands around my bbl.but tis hard to do if ya dont have a scope cause the cloth will get in the way of the sight.........their are more expensive alternatives but it migh tbe worth it..they have bbl sleeves and camo skin you can put on.
    OH YEAH! and also HS strut makes a camo "sock" they are more for auto loading shotguns but you do some cutting and make it usable on a pump.they arent real expensive either.they usaully come out closer to turkey season at the local wally world.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Forgot to mention something about using the mouth calls. I used to trim them with scissors to better fit your mouth. That would usually take care of any gagging. Worked for me.

17. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    When it comes to mouth calls, I just use the frame of the call without any tape. It takes some getting used to, and if you have fillings it isn't adviseable. LOL!!!!!!!!! I personally designed a mouth call for a turkey hunting company, Hooks Calls, it is called the Executioner and is by far the easiest blowing mouth call I've ever used. One unique thing about it is the reed design. There is no other call on the market like it today. I personally am on their pro staff and video turkey hunts in the spring for them. If you go to their website you can see the call. I can't put their address up here, but you'll figure it out. Also, for those wanting to learn how to sound like a real turkey, I HIGHLY recommend getting these cd's!!!!!!!!!! They are by far the best on the market!!!!!!!!!!! www.treetopturkeys.com I listen to these cd's all year long and they will help make you a better turkey caller!!!!!!!!! Nothing compares to spring turkey hunting and I am getting EXCITED about this coming spring, it is going to be a blast. I'll travel all over the country chasing the monarchs of spring. God bless.

18. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Is it absolutly nessary to have a gun that is fully camo? This year will be my first year going out, I just want to get the scoop on things that I might need to purchase.

thanks
    chris

19. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    This will be my grandson's first year to carry a gun t hunting.The call will be an easy yelper,gun 20 ga 870 non camo.I don't think we will have a problem;)

20. turkey22

turkey22 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I prefer a mouth call, but use a slate to sweet talk the birds. Once the bird locks in on you the best thing to do is be quiet. Alot of people think when a bird shut's up he's gone, but most of the time he's looking for you.