Turkey Call?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by derbycitycatman, Apr 6, 2006.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im going to turkey hunt this year and I know how to use a mouth call and just now learning a wingbone call. With the wingbone call is this for cutting or yelping only? Ive also found another call that I dont know what it is or what its for. Im pretty sure it came in a group of Knight and Hale calls. Its a cylinder about 2.25 inches long and about 1 3/16 wide. It completely open on one end and has half an opening on the other. The part thats half closed is covered by a piece of plastic that has a small opening 2/16 wide. Im guessing this is some type of shock call and have no idea how to use it. Help!!! Also what are some different ways to use a box call as I have one of those as well.

2. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Thanks, the tube call looks like it could easily be made from a film canister. Think Ill stick with the box call and will practice more with the wingbone. Got a little sound from the tube call but it doesnt seem necessary to use that if the others will work and make the same sounds? Looks like I just need a locator, any suggestions? Also what are the differences between a yelp, cluck, cackles and whines. I can make a bunch of different sounds that Ive heard but dont really know what they are or when to use them.

3. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Thanks again, wolfman. Very good info. More staighforward than any video or magazine ive seen. Ive now got my calls down and what I want to use and when. You were a big help.

4. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Pretty good turkey hunting up in KY?

Mississippi's opened March 15 and is coming to a close May 1.

5. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Hunting should be pretty good here in KY. THough Im not much of a turkey hunter, I did more fishing today than I did hunting. I did find two nice places I want to set up on later. One had tracks in the mud and fresh feathers below pines that look like theyve been roosting in. I did catch 2 channels, a bass, and a bluegill. lol For some reason I cant get excited about turkeys the way I do for deer.

6. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Yep, I'm a bigger rabbit hunter than anything. Fishing is a roots kinda thing for me while rabbit hunting is like my hobby/passion!