Turkey Broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by spcmitchell28, Jan 20, 2009.

1. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    Has anyone used the cut on contact turkey broadheads? (ex the Guillitine) What is the flight trajectory of those broadheads compared to normal ones? I am thinking about trying them this spring, but I dont want to spend $40 on a pack to find out they dont fly good. :crazy:

2. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Grim Reaper makes one heck of a good mechanical, called the Razortip... I use the 125 on everything from turkeys to whitetail. Check these out, they work well and don't depend upon an O ring to keep the blades closed. Good hunting to you and dont' think you can't drill a big gobbler with your bow. I hunt them from a ground blind. Luke Clayton

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I have never tried the Guillotine broadheads on Turkeys. There supposed to offer a better chance on the head shot and a very fast death. I have heard from others that tried these broadheads and the flight characteristics are not the greatest. I'm guessing 20 yds. or closer will offer the best chance for a lethal shot.

I prefer the Shockwave broadhead made by New Archery Products (NAP) and have had great success. I can shoot these broadheads through my netting on the Double Bull blind, with not lose of accuracy. My farthest shot was at 30 yds. I like using mechanicals on Turkeys, because of the wider cutting path and less penetration. Meaning, I like for the broadhead to stay in the bird and do it's job. Turkeys are one tough character and a lethal shot is the only way to bring them down fast.

Good luck on your next Turkey hunt!! Hope this helps.

4. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    Im more of a fixed blade fan. I had a headache with mechanicals the first and only time I shot a deer with them, and ill never use them again. I use g5 striker magnum's right now in 125 grain. I also have a double bull dark horse and I have not shot through the netting yet so I wont know how it will effect my trajectory.

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think I'll try these this year.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat600306&hasJS=true

It will be the first time for me to go with archery equipment, but I like the idea of these broadheads. They are supposed to prevent pass throughs and they seem like they would be like shooting a normal fixed blade. The gobbler guillotine seems like an awesome idea, and there are some awesome video's out there. But I would think that sighting them in would be a nightmere. Don't you have to get an arrow cut longer, plus shooting it at a target would probably break the blades. Maybe I'm way off, I've never seen them shot. But they are pretty expensive for one, if they break when you shoot them at targets.

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I like the concept of the Guillotine broadhead, I just worry that the problems would outweigh the benefits. They are big, I think that transportation would be a bear. Plus, I do not think I would be able to get a couple of them in the woods with out cutting a appendage off. I think I will stick to muzzys or something like that. There is different products that can be placed behind the broadhead to keep from having a total pass through on a bird

7. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    Thats what im kinda leaning towards, I shoot g5 striker magnums and i think if I put a stopper blade behind them it should work fine. I was just wondering about the guillitine, because the idea of not having to worry about the bird go anywhere.lol

8. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
  9. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    Thanks, I might have to try those out. :smile2:

10. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    We all have our ideas of what's 'best'. For turkey hunting, I want a broadhead that flys true EVERY time and, out to 30 yards. It has to create a wide wound channel upon impact. The Grim Reaper Razor Tip I shoot uses no rubber O rings and is pretty much fool-proof. It also begin cutting the instant it contacts fur/feathers... Regardless which type broadhead you shoot at turkeys, make sure you know it's trajectory out to your maximun shooting yardage and make sure it is constructed solidly enought to do the job. Good turkey hunting to you! I've harvest quiet a few birds with my bows,it's not that difficult, just make sure you are well hidden ( I hunt from ground blinds), draw under cover of the blind and move the bow/arrow EVERY so slowly. Try to move the bow into shooting position while the bird is looking away.

11. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I deceided that I am going to try the G5 Montec this spring for a bird. I bought them, and I am loving the flight patern. They look like they could do some real destruction for an unlucky Gobbler. :smile2:

12. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Great choice, will be awesome for deer this fall too

13. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    im thinkin that im gonna use the rage 2 blade expandables.. my buddy used them since he started and he hasnt lost a bird yet.. that 2 inch diameter must really do the trick!

14. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    Ive heard good things about the Rage, but I cant get myself to trust any expandable on any game. I have heard bad stories about them not deploying properly etc, and I just wont take the risk of that happening to me.

15. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i gotta be honest im a little apprehensive about it as well and there actually was a recall on them a few years ago because a lot of them werent expanding. they supposedly fixed the problem and i havent heard anything bad about them since then so ill try em out for myself.. only on turkey tho i like my slik triks for deer:cool2::smile2:

16. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I hear you there, my only turkey I shot with my bow was out of my treestand with a mechanical. It went through her shoulders and stuck in the ground. She looked around for a couple seconds then dropped like a rock. I only use fixed blades now, because my dad made a good shot on a doe and one of the mechanical blades didnt deploy and another of them broke off inside her. It didnt leave much blood, and the only good thing that came from the whole ordeal, was that it snowed that night and we found her the next morning and the meat was still good. I have sworn off of mechanicals since. :confused2: