Tunnel Hull

Discussion in 'Boating' started by mtrimble, Mar 1, 2007.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Ive finished my riveted v-hull off. Too many times up a shallw river. The keel is bent right in the middle of the boat and several rivets are leaking. So Im in the market for a jon boat to pair up with my tiller handle 25 Honda. Ive seen these tunnel hull jons on the internet and I have a few questions about them.

Do they really improve upon a flat bottom jon as far as traveling through shallow water is concerned?

What are some of the companies that make tunnel hull jon boats?

I want a bare bones version. Im not looking for consoles or anything that add cost. I plan on modifying the interior as I see fit. As far as Ive found, all the tunnel hull jons are completely decked out with all types of stuff. Is there anywhere I can find an all welded bare bones tunnel hull jon?

I must be able to travel over shallow water. Any of you all familiar with central Oklahoma rivers know what I mean. The more places I can get the better.

2. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    You can get a plain tunnel hull from seaark .That is what i have and its a good heavy boat. Then you can raise your motor to run in shallow water because of the tunnel raises you about 4 inches out of water. Hope this helps.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Unless you are willing to put a jack plate on the tunnel hull you really arent gaining much.
    As the water column coming out of the tunnel rises (as you gain speed) you can raise the motor some. Straight up would be better over using tilt trim.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when i fished in texas all our net skifs were tunnel hulls.the main reason being is your prop sits in the tunnel.only thing sticking out below the bottom of the boat is the keel.you defintly can run in shallower water.down side if you run into logs or trash in the water you haft to watch about geting stuff caught between thr tunnel wall and your prop.it will shere a pin in a hurry.

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    If I'm understanding what your situation, your keel is bent in the center of your boat? A tunnel hull will not make your boat rise out of the water any higher, if that's what you were thinking.

You can travel in shallow water without ruining a prop or lower unit with a tunnel hull if you put the jackplate on it as Mark suggested. That is the only advantage of a tunnel hull is saving your lower unit or prop.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have a SeaArk 1650 tunnel. It unquestionably runs in shallower water than a conventional jon, but not by as much as you might expect.

When I first got it, I was running a prop, and found that I had to cup the prop quite a bit to keep it from cavitating.

I have a 2007 Alumacraft catalog that shows several stripped down all-welded tunnels. One that might interest you is the 1546 AW Tunnel. The hull weight is 340#, something to consider, given your existing motor, and the fact that, no matter what you do, you're still gonna have the pleasure of dragging the sucker from time to time.

7. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    My keel is bent because my v-hulled boat came down on a floating log during an exceptionally windy day here at the lake. Nothing to do with shallow water.

I want a tunnel hull because my prop is ravaged. My prop is what has prevented most of my travels from going any further. My present boat has a thin aluminum hull. It is a 98 riveted utility tracker and it sucks. The transom is even bowed out.

Yea Alumicraft seems to be the best thing Ive found. The stripped downed SeaArks seem a bit too pricey. Those are the only two companies Ive found with a boat like what Im looking for. One problem is the closest alumicraft dealer is in Kansas. I cant believe there isnt one in OKC. Everything is Tracker around here. I was thinking about a 15' grizzly until I heard about these tunnel hulls.

They may not make a great difference but with a couple extra inches I could explore a few extra miles.

Thanks for all you all's input. You guys have really helped me out. A couple thousand dollars is a fortune to me and I want to spend it as wisely as possible. River and stream fishing is what I live for.

8. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a Xpress 18HDCC Tunnel with 90 Optimax.Yeah, you can run some skinny water if you don't let your nerves get in the way.You have to keep it on plane!! And,if you have a prop as I do,keep a spare on hand and put on a stump jumper or skeg protector of some sort.I knocked off a nice size piece of my skeg before I learned my lesson.

9. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Lowe also offers a 3" tunnel on many of its roughneck models as an option.
    If you really want to run shallow use a jet pump with the tunnel, then there is nothing sitting below the boat.
    The jet shoe will be in the tunnel to get the water feed with nothing sitting below the boat.

10. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thats a good idea. Im not familiar with those things though. Any suggestions?

The jet kits are more than I can afford right now. Maybe in the future.