Tunnel hull boat??

Discussion in 'Boating' started by catsmith1, Mar 6, 2007.

1. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    What are your thoughts about tunnel hull boats built for the flats. Will they make an all around fishing boat or would they be too shallow for the bigger rivers. I am talking about 3'' of draft and will run in water like in the picture.

Attached Files:

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The only reason I would have a tunnel hull is if I absolutely had to have one where I fished.
    The pro of such a boat would be navigating shallower water. The tunnel doesnt work until you get some speed up which is why I say its pointless unless you have a power jack plate.

They arent all roses. They have the problems associated with tunnel hulls.

I will admit that there are tunnel hulls and there are TUNNEL HULLS.
    The one pictured is the latter. A lot of time and design was put into just the tunnel of that boat to achieve maximum control and shallow running.
    What you see as a tunnel on most boats probally isnt much more then some bent sheet metal that comes off as a tunnel or a half performing tunnel.

The boat in that photo is a Garvey design. Much like a Carolina Skiff except it has some shape to the sides and its narrows a tad at the stern. Pictures dont do it justice. That boat is huge at 20'x8'. And check out the small motor.
    I think a 25 will push it 30MPH if you dont put a sole in it.
    There is alot to a tunnel hull and tunnel hull design including the design and materials of the rest of the hull.

3. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Catsmith1,
    To me going to a tunnel hull without going to a jet is almost pointless.
    Even with a tunnel you will still have parts of your outboard sticking below the boat.
    With a proper designed tunnel hull the performance and handling with a jet outboard can actually be enhance over a flat bottom boat with a jet.

4. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    OK next question. Would a boat like that do well on a larger river for when I did not need it for skinny water. I want to be able to go anywhere I want to go in the shallows but am I going to sacrifice the deep water handling? What about when the wind kicks up and it gets choppy?

FYI I am looking at something like this instead of a pontoon. Plus I want to build a boat sometimes soon.

5. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Unfortunately I have found no boat that is perfect for everything.
    I would love to have about 3 boats to cover every thing I like to do and everywhere I want to go in a boat.
    The flatter bottom boats for skinny stuff will definitely beat the **** out of you in seriuos chop.
    It's just a matter of finding the best fit for your needs.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have been where you've been. I will answer your question definitively next week. I have had Bass Boats, Pontoons, Jons, Cuddys, etc...

I currently have a 28 foot toon with a 90 and a 1654 Jon with a 55. I had a jet on the little boat but she gave up the ghost last year.

I have used it both shallow and deep. I am going this weekend to pick up a new 20 foot 94" beam 115/80 jet. Since the river is high we are going to try Truman in MO.

Usually a jet is louder and much less fuel efficient than a comp prop plus a 33% loss of power. BUT..... 4" of water is a great thing to run through.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Three is not enough. I have had as many as 8 boats and multiple motors to propel them and still wanted more.Each had it's purpose and place,but there is always more kinds of fish to catch.Yes,it is called greed,but very enjoyable.You never have all of the fishing gear that you want.Small motors with small gear case's and props have been pushing large shallow draft boats in shallow water for generations.If you do not need to speed,they may fit your need.They are at work and people are earning their living with them all over the world.Many who fish the sea for a living have to go and return home through the shallows and bars each day.Many have to beach their boats each night.Speed seems to be the death of most boats.I have never found speed to be of use once I got in what I call rough water.You have to ride it out.We all have our own notion of rough water.I have found it more in the type of waves than the hight. I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee