Tunnel Hull boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catsmith1, Apr 17, 2006.

1. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Does any one run a tunnel hull boat and if so do you like it? Pro and con?

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I have been on one but don't own one. I know it was a good handling boat and a smooth riding thing. But that is as far as I can help you on this one.

3. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    my 14 ft, 5ft wide bottom aluminum boat has one. it also has a jack plate too. pro is i can run in very shallow water(mud flats in the marsh). con is......if i load up too heavy in the front(4 wheeler) the lower unit comes out the water at idle speed and dont pick up water for the water pump, till i get on step. charlie r

4. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Could You Give A Bit More Info On Your Inquiry? Fishing Only Or Recreational Use As Well? Manufacturer? Aluminum Or Fiberglass?

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've never used one but a co-worker has. He says its great in shallow water when your going forward. The down side apparently is trying to go in reverse. The boat just won't react & manuever like a regular boat.

That's all I know!

6. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Okay, I give...what's a tunnel hull? All I found on google was the racing boats. Some were what I'll call a bi-hull (a really streamlined pontoon-like setup) and some were tri-hull with the center ones sometimes that have all sorts of weird shapes. So what's a "tunnel hull" to us guys that obviously aren't running death-ride speed boats? Is it the same as what I've seen called tri-hull or cathederal hulls (like my old ranger) or what?

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Sea Ark makes one I know. The principle is there is a rise on the bottom center on the back of the hull. The motor is then jacked uppretty much level with the bottom of the boat which allows you to run in VERY shallow water. I have heard tell that the handling was questionable but am looking for someone who has one. You can see what I am talking about on the SEA ARK website. I am talking about aluminum fishing rig.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.

8. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Aaaahh...raise the stern instead of lower the prop, gotcha. I can definately see how the hull would fight the prop in reverse. You're pushing water into a weathervaneing channel. Houston now sits back and asks himself..."Self, why didn't you think of that on your own?"

9. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The Sea ark john boat / with the tunnel hull was designed for one type out drive, The jet drive to run in shallow waters and rivers. I was told this by a sea ark rep at a boat show when they first started building them..

10. bigyella

bigyella New Member

State:
    Texas
  11. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a G3 Tunnel and I love it. I can take off in 1.5 feet of water and never touch bottom. The console is about center of the boat so the weight is forward. I have a Yamaha 90 4 stroke and it will run around 40. You need the jack plate so you can fine tune it. In the spring I set it up then after KY lake goes up I lower it about 6 inches. It is the closest thing to a jet drive without eating up the gas. You have to get used to the trimming of it and the sound. You think it is bowing out but it isn't. You can't make full sharp turns wide open because it will blow out but being a flat bottom boat you can be thrown out anyway.

Pay the extra bucks for the 4 stroke because I have already saved that in fuel. Also it is good for the lake. 2-strokes will pass up to 50% of their gas out the exhaust.

All in all I like mine.

12. Bill_Gibbs

Bill_Gibbs New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Glad to here you like your G3 I take possesion in a month of a 1860 CCT with a 50 HP and hoping I can run shallow and get to places that in my Lund I could not reach:mad:

13. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Mark,
    Are you running a regular prop on the G3?

14. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    catsmith1.... Stainless steel.

Bill..... You will like it. This spring I was pulling out of our marina and a guy was push polling his john and was still dragging. I just idled past him without kicking any mud. Even I was amazed.