Tuning a bow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by derbycitycatman, Aug 18, 2006.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Got my bow out and its way off from what Im used to. Any help out there on how to tune a bow? Is it even necessary or do I need a new string? Bow is about 5-6 years old. Been thinking about taking it to BPS or Dicks, they say the give free bow tuning?

2. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Don't quite understand what you meant by "way off". But anyway, if you have any concerns about it and are not sure what to look for, take it to a bow shop. Better safe than sorry.

Robert

3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yeah what do you mean exactly by "way off"? Like the bow is shooting bad even with sight adjustment? After the off season, a bow can somehow lose it's sight settings from the hunting season, wish I knew exactly how! There could be alot of factors causing your bow to not shoot right too though. But I would just take it by a local pro shop, and stay away from Dick's or BPS if you could. If you don't have a pro shop around or don't want to spend money, I would take it to BPS before I would Dick's. I don't think i've ever talked to an employee at Dick's that knew much about anything. I've had the same with BPS people too though. Good luck with it though!

4. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i would stay away from dick's.....the bowtech's there are the guys that just got promoted from the shoe department......

5. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I would say take it to a archery shop. It could be alot of different things. If the string has got alot of wear such as the small strands of string being broke it can throw it off alittle but usually not a whole lot. always remember to use the same anchor point when shooting bows. Using different anchor points will throw it off alot. If it was me, i would take it to a shop. Good luck shooting and hunting this year!!

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I move the sight, only use one pin, and its just really inconsistent. May be time for a new string, its probably over 5 years old. I bought the bow from bps so ill give them first crack at it. The pro shops around here dont see you unless your asking about a new bow.:angry:

7. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i believe you moved your rest to a bad spot or something......make sure your rest is aligned with your string......if thats not it it could be anything from poor form to bad arrows.....what kind of arrows you shoot?

8. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    It sounds like it could be timing or something has moved and is contacting a vane. I believe a knowledgeable bow tech. that you trust is a wise choice, especially this close to season. Good luck, and hope its something minor.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd take it to a real bow shop. They will be able to get you fixed up.

10. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    there are alot of things that it can be its best to start by paper tunning. also if you dont shoot with an kisser button i would recomend that so you have the same anchor point every time.if your bow is atwin cam the timming may be off.also if your bow is that old and you dont wax your string often it would be a good idea to get a new string anyway. good luck hopefully you can get it figered out.