Tuna Limit

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by MattShannon, Mar 14, 2008.

1. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I was looking into a gulf stream trip and one the charters out of Outer Banks, NC, posted that for 2008, they were only allowed to keep 1 tuna per boat. Is this everywhere, or just NC?

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    one fish per boat? wow. I'd think it was per angler. Id like to go out from nj to tuna fish sometime. I hope their regs are different.

3. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    From Louisiana Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries :
    HMS angling permit is necessary for the taking of Atlantic bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna, bigeye tuna, skipjack tuna, and albacore; for information contact the National Marine Fisheries Service Permitting Office at 1-888-USA-TUNA (1-888-872-8862) or visit the NMFS Permit Shop at: http://www.nmfspermits.com/initialapp.asp.
    Persons subject to the jurisdiction of the state, fishing for tunas within or without Louisiana State waters, are subject to both state and federal laws, rules and regulations. Federal regulations on recreational harvest of tunas change often, especially for bluefin tuna. Prior to harvest of tuna, be aware of the most current federal regulations on harvest, including sizes, bag limits, and closed seasons. The "Atlantic Tunas Regulations Brochure" is available at: http://www.nmfspermits.com/library.asp and announcements of changes may be accessed via the web at: http://www.nmfspermits.com/news.asp.
    Following are permanent Louisiana regulations on tuna harvest, which may be superseded by seasonal changes within the Federal regulatory system. See websites referenced above for current Federal regulations.
    Tuna, Yellowfin: 27 inches minimum CFL. Three fish per person daily bag and possession limit.

Tuna, Bigeye
    : 27 inches minimum CFL.

Tuna, Bluefin
    : 27 inches minimum CFL

4. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
  5. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Boilerman, why don`t you ask for BOC members who are Charter fishermen to contact you. I can`t imagine the BOC moderators would have a problem with that type of networking. You may find some better deals and perhaps better services available thru your BOC brotherhood.

6. texasaggie23

texasaggie23 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i'm pretty sure the one fish regulation is just for bluefin; i know in texas you can keep all the blackfins you want and 3 yellowfins, hope this helps

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    This is from the National Marine Fisheries web site from the permit section. Hope it helps.

Effective February 10, 2008, through December 31, 2008, the retention limit will be 1 school BFT and one large school/small medium BFT. HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Heaboats are also eligible to retain 1 BFT (73 inches or greater) per vessel per year as a “trophy” fish for the boat. These BFT retention limits are effective for all areas, except for the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf of Mexico is designated as a spawning grounds for BFT and therefore NMFS does not allow vessels, commercial or recreational, to target BFT while fishing in this area. The recreational yellowfin tuna daily retention limit is 3 yellowfin/person. The minimum size for yellowfin and bigeye tuna is 27" curved fork length. There are no recreational limits for bigeye, skipjack or albacore tunas.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Seems like you would be able to keep more than 1