Tulsa, Oklahoma....Timecapsule....pretty cool

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by teaysvalleyguy, Jan 20, 2007.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Got this email, figured yall probably know about it but some great info and cool video on it's buriel. Just figured I would share it.

On June 15, 1957, a new gold and white 1957 Plymouth Belvedere Sport Coupe was buried in a time capsule in downtown Tulsa, OK. The time capsule was part of Golden Jubilee Week: Tulsa's celebration of Oklahoma's semi-centennial. The car is buried under the sidewalk in front of the Tulsa County Courthouse, approximately 100 feet north of the intersection of Sixth Street and Denver Avenue.

The car was seen as a method of acquainting twenty-first century citizens with a suitable representation of 1957 civilization. According to event chairman Lewis Roberts Jr., the Plymouth was chosen because it was "an advanced product of American industrial ingenuity with the kind of lasting appeal that will still be in style 50 years from now."

The contents of a women's purse, including bobby pins, a bottle of tranquilizers, cigarettes and an unpaid parking ticket, were added to the glove compartment of the car shortly before burial.

Other items included in the time capsule were:

10 gallons of gasoline and 5 quarts of oil

A Douglas Aircraft Co. aerial map of airport facilities and legend

Statement from Tulsa council of Churches and prayer for greatest good next 50 years a recently completed history of churches in Tulsa and a directory of the present churches

Statement from board of education - historical data related to 50 years of education in Tulsa and copies of "School Life" all-high school publication issued by Tulsa high schools each month

Statements from Mayor and Chamber of Commerce officials

Flags which have been flown over the national capitol, state capitol and in the county and city

Other aerial photos of the area

Statement from Tulsa Trades and Labor Council

Statements from all former mayors of the city - their record of service and civic accomplishments in the city, state and nationally.

To see more of the buried Belvedere and other rare Tulsa film clips, go to Tulsafilms.com

http://www.buriedcar.com/index.cfm

2. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Thanks Matt for the link. I'v lived in OKC most of my life and didn't know this about Tulsa. Thats a great idea for a time capsule.

3. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Glad ya liked it, can't wait to see the unvailing pics this year.

4. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yea i been waiting to see this in june

5. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Take some pictures if ya go Pez.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Matt for posting. I have never heard about this, even though I have an Aunt that lives in Bixby just a few miles south of Tulsa. When they unveil in June I hope one of the BOC members are on hand to take and share the pics.:lol:

7. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Thanks for the post Matt. I'd like to see this too.

Paul