The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't have near the time on the water most these guy's have but have learned just how bad those wake's can be. No tug's or barges where I go but lots of skiers and speed boats, they drive me crazy. Bit off the subject but in my own boat as I come up on any boat sitting on the water I shut down to almost no wake to pass them and give them a wide berth. That is because in my experience even with a wide berth, the wake still hit's them. I have noticed people running around in speed boats can be very inconsiderate, all they want to do is go fast and don't care who they trouble! These days I try to fish early but mostly late afternoon as it's so far to where I can fish Most the skier's are off the water and most of the speed boats too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Had a little free time yesterday... Put the lines in the water and 5 mins later I hooked my new PB! :D
I've found this is a great way to deter wake... Three boats were speeding up river and they all stopped when they saw me fighting this beast! LOL
Of course my scale wasn't working.... The pic isn't great either - kind of hard to take selfies in this situation lol.

Screenshot_20201110-150309_Video Player.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Is that fish to big to eat?
Definitely too big to eat. The pic doesn't do it justice.
I guess good eater cats are below 10 pounds or so. The bigger ones start to taste muddy or whatever the flavor of your local waterway lol. I've only eaten a few, and they were 5-7lb maybe - tasted great! I wouldn't keep anything over that... wanna keep them growing!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had a little free time yesterday... Put the lines in the water and 5 mins later I hooked my new PB! :D
I've found this is a great way to deter wake... Three boats were speeding up river and they all stopped when they saw me fighting this beast! LOL
Of course my scale wasn't working.... The pic isn't great either - kind of hard to take selfies in this situation lol.

View attachment 321866

Nice catch man , congratulations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tie one of these to the end of your anchor line. This way if need be you can unhook your anchor if things look bad and then come back and get it later. That is your best bet if you need to get away quickly and you don't want to lose your anchor. You can get them on Amazon for like $4. https://www.amazon.com/Airhead-F-5R...ld=1&keywords=rope+buoy&qid=1604764426&sr=8-3

I have something like that on mine, along with a quick clip on the line. I use it when I duck hunt. When I need to chase down a duck I can just unsnap the line and throw it, chase down the duck and come back and hook it up again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Couple of things:
You mention a stern anchor. They can be very useful but also VERY dangerous. If the front anchor breaks away the boat will swing around until it is stern first in the current. If the current is strong enough and the stern anchor holds you have created the perfect scenario to be swamped by water coming over the transom. Keep a sharp knife handy at the stern because you will not have time to untie it.
Also, (and to my mind more dangerous) if you have to ditch the front anchor to avoid a big wake it is imperative that the float attached to the very end of the anchor rope is big/buoyant enough to not be dragged under by the current. You need to know exactly where the rope is at all times and when approaching to retrieve it come at it from downstream.
If you run over it and it gets in the prop, the motor will stall and you will be stern anchored and again prone to swamping. This isn’t a slow process; it can be over in less than ten seconds and a sharp knife won’t help because the rope is attached to the bottom of the motor.
Not trying to scare you but I’d rather tell you these things now than wish I’d told you later.

...W
Very true!!!!! ,, Take this advice and always remember it,, all of it,,, I have not had this happen to me but I have heard of it happening to experienced boaters that let their guard down

21 - 28 of 28 Posts