tuff up livers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Raven, May 27, 2009.

1. Raven

Raven New Member

State:
    alabama
    How can i tuffin up livers to use as bait?

Thanks

RAVEN

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    easy my friend get like a cookie plate put aluminum foil over it.take your liver cut it in bait size pieces and put it on the foil pour garlic powder heavy all over it then put salt on it real heavy.set it out in the sun for a couple hours then repeat on the opposite side.this will tuffin up the liver so it wont come off the hook and the cats like the garlic and salt.

3. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    This pretty much says it. Only thing I do different that may speed up the drying process is to use something thats vented on the bottom to sit them on, like an old window screen or something. This way a lot of the "juice" has a place to drip. I read in another post a while back to use non-iodized salt. Supposedly the iodine in the other turns away the fish, I dont know that as a fact though.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'll use any old smooth surface; the livers seem to want to stick to rough surfaces when I use them. Tilt whatever you use so the liquid will run off. You may need to expose the livers more than a couple of hours on each side, depending on how 'cured' you want them, and what the weather is like. In the early spring, I've had to leave them for a whole day on one side, then another whole day on the other side. Once you cure the livers to the texture of well done steak, or even more, they will last years if you keep them in the fridge. No need to freeze. Don't worry if the flies blow the livers while you're curing them; if you get a huge clump of eggs on a liver, you can simply brush off most of the eggs.

5. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
  6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bruce, those are some fine lookin younguns in your avatar. Enjoy them while you can, the time flies. They'll be growed up before you know it.

7. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Thats how I do my livers. And so far I have had nothing but good luck using this method.

8. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Are you guys using chicken Livers?

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Not complaining, just sharing my recent experience; i did just what you've said here over the past two days, sun dried 2 1/2 lbs chicken livers w/ heavy salt and garlic; baited my (buddie's) trotline with them last night expecting surely to catch 2-3 eater channels. Nothing. Total skunk. Hardly any bare hooks. Not impressed so far.

The river did drop >1 ft last night probably from water control at a lake dam upstream. The drop in water level may be the cause for the lock jaw. I'll bait it once more and see.

10. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Heres all I do to mine.
    In a plastic tub, I put the livers and salt and minced garlic and then put in fridge overnight. That's it. The more salt you put the tuffer the livers get.
    All that juice you loose on the drying sheets is good blood. I won't do it that way. sorry.

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well, i caught one eater channel this morning on two day old garlic/salt sun cured liver and an eater flathead on bluegill. It's raining here now, looks like the river is gonna rise just a little.

i've some 'fresh' sun cured garlic salt liver I'll bait with this evening, along with bluegill and suckers that I've caught in my cast net. I'll use the sun cured garlic salt livers to fill in the spaces between my live wiggly bait. I'll report back later on how it goes. (flatheads are what I'm really after though)

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never caught a flathead on cured chicken liver....just blues and channels. To me, cured (or fresh) liver is a backup bait; not my first choice. Here in central Arkansas, skipjack or fresh shad will generally outproduce any other catfish bait 10 to 1. If I just can't get skipjack or fresh shad, I go to my backup baits; also, every once in a great while, the catfish want something different, and then it's a matter of trying different baits until you run across something they like. Once I started out with skipjack, then tried 5 other baits before putting on some bacon, which the catfish went crazy over; another time, all they wanted was cured chicken liver, and another, fresh chicken liver.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've caught two channels over five days with the cured chicken liver (and two flatheads on live bait), but nothing else is really working either from what I'm hearing around here.

14. horseshadow

horseshadow New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks, for the tip. I will surely try this. The tendancy of livers being hard to keep on the hook is exactly why I prefer to fish with live bait.

15. rustystinkbaitrules

rustystinkbaitrules New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i salt them down heavily about an hour before i go