Tuff coat rubber, vinyl, or carpet recomendations?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by OkieBo, Jan 14, 2009.

1. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I am Looking to coat bow deck, rear deck and console with either of the mentioned materials. I am not going to be fiberglassing right now so one of these will have to do. Also i am starting with fresh plywood.
    Pros and cons? Thanks

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    when i redid mine i went with marine carpet, its rugged, not to bad ta clean and easy to install, i personally wouldn't go with vinyl for the fact that if wet it could be slippery, the tough coat might not be a bad idea as long as it wasn't a dark color to attract the heat of the sun, and would be easy to apply and i would think also easy to clean, with the tough coat you could always add some sand to it to make it skid proof, i've never used the tough coat so really don't know, i've always liked carpet so thats what i went with

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I applied TuffKote to the decks, floor, and seats in my 1652 jon. It's over a year old now, no complaints or problems. Prep work is the key. Do exactly what TuffKote recommends for each surface material you will be covering and you will have a great looking, long wearing anti-skid surface. Here is the link to their website, scroll down to "surface prep and adhesion" and click on the application guide. This is the Bible for coating with their product.
    http://www.ultratuff.net/technical.htm
    Hope this helps, good luck. WRB

4. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I was leanning towards the tuff coat for the ruggedness. But I sure do like the comfort of carpet. I know cats and carpet don't go well together.

5. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Bo,I LOVE carpet in a catfish boat.I catch about 2or3 1lb.channels,let um flop around in the bottom,get to the dock,everybody sees that slime,and without asking they know I caught the fire out of em.:wink:

6. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Well I stopped at the bass pro today and looked at the boats. One pontoon had the marine vinyl installed. It looked good but could easily see how slick it could become. I then stopped at lowes and got a few samples of marine carpet. It makes me want to the carpet for the decks and tuff coat for the floor and console. Only problem on instaling carpet is they come 6 feet or 12 feet wide. My boat is 7 feet wide. Shouldnt the grain of the carpet go along the boat not across it? Meaning I would have to purchase the 12 ft and waste 4 to 5 ft.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    with the left over carpet you could alway use it on the boards on the trailer, i also found marine type carpet at a carpet mart, that was much cheaper than gettin it from a boat dealer or even cabelas

8. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    Bass pro sells marine carpet that is 8' wide. You want to make sure you keep the grain going the same way, otherwise you will see different shades. Whichever end you start with make sure it always faces the same direction. If you flip it around, even if the grain appears to be the same, it can give different shades.

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I'm trying to decide on carpet or Tuff Coat myself for my boat decks right now. Carpet is nice to have for when I walk bare foot in the summer in my boat, but I get my boat VERY dirty during snagging and gigging season. The Tuff Coat would be nice because it's anti slip and also really easy to clean.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Tuff Coat, but I won't be able put that on until it warms up since we don't have a heated garage. :confused2:

10. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rebuild my pontoon from the frame up. Aluminum deck I use tuff coat, 4 cans. I will never again have a boat with carpet. The amount of mess fishing adds from slime to the scales of shade... I can just power wash it all away. The rubber crumb adds good grip to wet decks. I fully recommend this product!

11. bluegrass cat hunter

bluegrass cat hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I had carpet in my 16ft lowe and I doubt I'll ever put carpet back in it. I've been working on reworking the decks all winter. I have the carpet ripped off and scraped all the glue off and have been getting the decks ready to coat with the roll on bedliner Herculiner. I checked out their website and they list it as a coating for for boat decks. They make it in a light grey color, that is what I plan to use. Anyone think this is a good\bad idea? I'll be applying it soon unless I change my mind. I'll have to check out the Tuff coat mentioned earlier also.

12. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Tuff coat guys,,,, How is that on bare feet?
    Get hot in the sun? Slick when wet?

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i put herculiner in my truck bed. it's very rough and like sand paper. not sure if your talking of same thing. might want to look into it more first.
    gary

14. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anyone have pictures of tuff coat applied in this application? I just went with paint on my deck. The tuff coat sounds ineresting though.

15. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    P.O of my boat installed tuff coat. Its flakeing off in places.It dulls the noise in the boat a little and provides good traction. I think it is ugly personally. Not very durable either. Im considering temparary removeable carpet. It muffels the noise in an aluminum boat exellent and does'nt get hot

Attached Files:

16. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I do know herculiner is very heavy. Applied to neighbors jon boat and it weighed it down hard. Could we get a close up pic uf the tuff coat? Thanks

17. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    where can you get the tuff coat and how much does it cost?

18. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    Tuff Coat will not flake or peel off if applied correctly. The downside of Tuff Coat is being too rough for those who wear shorts and kneel down on it. None of the commercial spray liners along with any roll on liners will be impervious to the sun, as all of them will get quite hot. Carpet will stay cooler, but is a pain in the butt to clean. I came across a product called Hydro Turf, which is what wave runners use for traction mats. It is non slip, doesn't absorb water, easily cleaned by being sprayed off, and keeps an aluminum floor bearable to walk on bare footed. Like anything else that is an all around product, it ain't cheap...Hydro Turf.

19. Wanda BARNER

Wanda BARNER Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Wanda
    We have had a spray in liner in our boat since 2003. It is easy to clean ,good traction(shad slime proof), reduces noise. The only place it has turned loose is on the edge where my husban pulls the anchor. Now in July it is warm on bare skin, but most things are . I think the advantages are more than the cons.

20. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    BASS PRO HAS IT FOR ABOUT $76 A GALLON (WILL COVER 50 SQ/FT).
    WWW.BASSPRO.COM

YOU CAN ALSO GET IT FROM VARIOUS OTHER SITES OR BOAT SHOPS MAY HAVE IT, BUT THIS IS THE CHEAPEST I HAVE SEEN IT. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE IT IS CHEAPER LET US KNOW.