Tuf Line Xp Braid/??

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Bacardipr05, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I bought some of this stuff this past weekend. My first real attempt at using braided line. I have 30lb test in my "simulated" test this stuff is snapping at about 15lb. Whats up with this bad batch or is it bad line ?

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Well I guess no one ever used this line. But I tested it again and still snapping at 15lb-17lb. Is this typical of braid or should I have gotten a higher test rating?

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    IMO, It's pretty typical. I assume it's breaking at the knot? In my experience, braid will break at the knot at between 1/4 and 1/2 the rated strength. I did 5 tests in a row with 100lb PowerPro trying out several different knots, and it broke in the 30's or low 40's.

I did try Tuffline XP once. It was very strong and did well short term, but after a year or so it showed considerable wear and fraying vs year old PowerPro.

4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I don't really understand the problem with braid breaking at the knot. It just may be the knots you are tying. I hear this same ole story all the time, I have used the same powerpro for 4 years now and have it on about 20 different rod and reels and have yet to have it break at the knot. When I get hung up in something, I just wrap the powerpro around my reel several times and pull, the mono leader ALWAYS breaks, NOT the powerpro. Braid will only work correctly if you tie the proper knots. I only use the double unit knots for braid and mono as well. To me it is the toughest stuff out there, but as far as your question about the tufline, I sure do not know. I would say it would be strong line. How about stepping up to 80lb test, it will be around the same diameter as 20lb mono.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Meant to be put that in there not breaking at the knots. My sucky knots are holding breaking away from the knot.......

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The line wasn't breaking at knot but just ahead of it. Just received info that the knot I was using to to run these type of test ( Double Surgeons) isnt the best for this type of applications.......Next up Palomar Knot........

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    If it's breaking that easy away from the knots then something is wrong. I found it to be a good line,There have been stories of counterfeit PowerPro being sold, mostly on Ebay, so anything is possible.

Slimcat, I use 200lb Fins Deep Drop for leaders - it is way stronger than the main line and never breaks, leaving the knot from the main line to the swivel as the weakest point. For knots when I was testing break strength I tried Uni, Double Uni, Trilene Knot, and Palomar. Mostly I use the Palomar for fishing, and I don't consider the weak point at the knot to be a problem, as it's still considerably stronger than my cranked down drag.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Tried Palomar broke at about 18 this time. Guess its time to learn some new knots and do a bit more research. Probably should of went with a higher test rating. The line came straight from Cabela's so Im assuming its not a fake... but one never knows.......Im trying to figure out what Im doing wrong before I put this up to any flats or anything like that....

9. young fisher

young fisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    I tink you should use regular line cause the only opposite is the braid doesn't stretch and the braid line gets damages after 20-30 uses. The only time i would ever use braid is fishing in rocky or snaggy areas to keep the fish out of rocks in a quick time.