Tuesday night / Wednesday morning report

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by RIVER-RAT, Aug 6, 2008.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Got to the river at or around midnight last night, ran to a bait hole and had enough bait in only a few throws! WHEW! Ran down river to fish a few spots and the fishing was definately slow to say the least! Moved to a new spot I had just found and set up and then the bites started. I had a buddy of mine that has been asking me to go out for quite some time (poor guy is a BASS fisherman) :crazy: so I told him that ALL the poles were his and to keep an eye on em.

We got some very good hard rips but for some reason he just couldn't get the hook set. So I told him that the next time you see that rod buckin, grab the sucker and set the hook! So that's what he did and he ended up having one hell of a fight on his hands! That fish was giving him a run for his money that's for sure! 10-15 minutes later the fish finally showed itself and I was able to get him in the net. It weighed in at 30.5 pounds, his biggest fish EVER caught! Not to mention that today August 6th, the day he caught it, is his birthday! So he got to catch a decent size kitten on his birthday and had a great experience out on one of our great rivers!

I love to see the face on these guys that have never had the pleasure of catching/fighting these great fish! He was just amazed how hard these big blues fight! I am so thankful I get to go out on the river on a regular basis! Anyways, here is the pic!

[​IMG]

2. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    thats one happy guy right there way to get him on a good one the first time out

3. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I remember my first Mississippi blue cat from just a few years ago and coming to the realization that a potential world record blue cat is likely in the river (and waiting for me:big_smile:). It has kind of ruined me as a bass fisherman. A six pound bass is fun, but when you compare it to pulling in a 45lb cat or a 60lb sturgeon (my two biggest fish ever) out of the river, it kind of puts things in perspective.

Rat, Congrats on ruining another bass fisherman on his first night out.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well thanks Steve! :smile2::smile2:

I know, I grew up flyfishing in Montana, I thought that was a good time, then I started catching the kittys and THEY are WAY better!!!

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    WTG Bill, Looks like he's hooked. A fish like that will do it.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  7. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats great, I remember the first blue I hooked into....or did it hook me!:confused2: Glad you guys caught some nice fish.

8. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Nice fish buddy your hooked now:crazy::wink:

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Nice fish! Winning over bass guys one hog at a time:cool2:

10. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    You said you had enough bait in a few throws.... i'm guessing that fish came on shad??? If so, where the heck did you find them?? I threw all along the walls at the lock @ dam for a good hour, with only catching 2 that were worth while. The carp, now that's a no brainer to find. lol

11. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I'm getting sick of the Walmart easy throw net. I've gone through 4 of them. And the last one I bought, was also a walmart net. It was the one without the ring though. They just seem to rip so easily, and I wish they sank faster. Anyone have a suggestion on a type of net that's better than a Wallyworld easy throw?

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    No, that fish was caught on asian. We did have quite a few shad in the boat as well, but nothing was caught on them.....oh I take that back, my buddy was reeling in his pole to check his bait and brought in a little ol flathead, it was pretty dang funny!!

[​IMG]

13. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Bigger than any flathead I've ever caught. Which is ZERO!

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm dying to catch a tiny flathead! That would complete my "collection" in the aquarium:wink:

15. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Way to go Bill. Did you mention to him that he dont have to buy all those expensive lures and bass boats, and fancy clothes to catch catfish? All my fish on Saturday were caught on asian as well. No bites at all on shad

16. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Nice fish.Congrats on making a new convert.He'll think of Bass as bait,after a fish that size.

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a great looking fish, congrats and good luck in the future

18. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I would get a net at basspro.All nets will rip if your not careful if you get another make sure it's a monofilament net and not nylon mono sinks faster and maybe try a little bit bigger one with more weights.Hopes this helps.:big_smile:

19. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I hope the bite picks back up!:crazy:

I have a free pass to fish till I puke the entire weekend!

YUP! I might even pull a 'Linus'!!! (48hr nonstop, NO BATH, fishing marathon!):smile2:course, I might be a bit OLD to pull that off:embarassed:

20. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Sounds like some nice weather coming up for this weekend. High in the low 80's, and low around 60 for Saturday and Sunday, with a chance of rain on Monday.:big_smile: It'll actually be tolerable in the boat during the daytime for once.:wink: