Tuckertown Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    We had a seminar at Gander Mtn. last night (8-23-07) and a gentleman is the group informed us that Tuckertown was in a distress situation. Anybody have any more information on this that they can share. Also, said that if the drought continues, Badin may have problems. I sure hope not.

2. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    I haven't heard of a distress situation on tuckertown, high rock is back to being low rock at 6 feet down. Tuckertown can't be drawn down more than 4 feet because Albemarle gets it's water from there. Badin looks like it will be drawn down further if we don't get more rain. Here is the current lake levels, so if tuckertown is in distress for another reason I haven't heard about it.

http://www.alcoa.com/yadkin/en/lakes/reservoir_data.asp

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I remember the last serious drought the area had Tuckertown was the only lake on the chain that had enough water to really even put a boat in. High Rock got bad and so did Badin. Like PP said, Tuckertown can't be drawn down more than 4 feet b/c of the water supply issue. However, if the drought continues who knows. I would like to know if it is in distress over something other than water level. That was one of my favorite bass lakes in the state. Never did catfish it much even though I know it at least used to be good.

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Wes and Jim, he could have been talking about the fishery at Tuckertown, he mentioned some about a bilogist (spelling ?) and said something to the effect that the bilogist said they (fishery) might not recover. Hard to hear someone talking in the back of a crowd but he seem alarmed about the situation. Mac

5. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    Hey Mac, Tuckertown has been invaded by snotgrass, however it hasn't spread down the chain of lakes. NC sportsman did a article early this year I think about it but I didn't think it was a dire straits kind of thing. Maybe it's something else that hasn't aired yet. I'm going to ask around some. Jim

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Dang, what is that? I know what snot is and what grass is, but snotgrass! Is it some kind of slick grass or sticky grass? Tell me more, please. :cool2:

7. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    tuckertown is covered on the bottom with grass and with the drought situation the grass is growing even more and spreading i have seen this my self in the flat swamp area cause u can have a ft of water but 9 inches of it is grass they need grass carp or something to help control it. i know the normal carp population aint close to what it used to be cause of people bowfishing. its just like what happened when people found out that tuckertown had bilg ole flats in it. they fished it un til now days they isnt many truely big ones in there i can seethe same thing happening to high rock in a few yrs

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    The black mat algae can be very problematic. It's fast growing and loves shallow water, combine that with low water conditions and it's easy to see why the lake could be in distress. It doesn't really provide any real food source to anything and takes up precious nutrients that could be used by more beneficial algae/plankton/emergent plants. I don't know how bad the situation is, but it's in the lake I fish and doesn't seem to be causing any real problems. I think a lot of bass fishermen complained about it b/c they couldn't fish in their traditional ways anymore. The bass are still there, they just can't catch them the way they've been catching them. Grass carp really won't help the situation b/c they really don't prefer to eat the stuff and to properly stock a lake of that size would cost 100's of thousands of dollars and who's going to fund that? When grass carp are about $9 a piece and you need about 30/acre you can see the expense involved. Also, every predatory fish in the lake would have a field day on those guys. I've been stocking ponds and had bass scarfing them up as soon as we dropped them in the water. Weed control is difficult in small bodies of water, I see it every day doing pond management, and on a larger scale it's even more difficult. There really is no way to prevent/control the stuff other than letting mother nature take care of it. Hopefully, with rising water levels and a little more flushing of the lake itself, the stuff won't make a mess out of the place. Like I said, I don't think it'll ruin the fishery, it'll just make it a heck of a lot harder to fish the lake. Just my 2 cents.

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Mac--after speaking with you I looked up in the FFF water concern section and found an article on didymo. Didymo is a diatom(microscopic plantlife), found intially in New Zealand according to my source but has spread and is present in the some Tennessee Reservoirs here in the USA. Didymo is commonly called "rock snot" and is a bad thing to have. I sure hope it is not didymo because this will be in all the waterways if we are not careful. I don't now that that is what is affecting Tuckertown. I hope not.

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    im not sure if its the same grass as santee or not but i hardly ever see it at santee anymore. they have sprayed the lakes and add sterile grass eating crap to the lakes. i know the grass at tuckertown does have a strong smell to it though. just one of the many reason to clean your boat trailer before traveling to other lakes. thats where i first noticed the grass at tuckertown was at the boat landings myself. also im seeing a small amount of grass at the landing at tillery now too. dont know if its the same thing either. sure will mess up a cast net.

11. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    The grass in Santee, Norman and Mountain Island can be dealt with. "Snot" has NO CURE and is a big problem. I hope it is hydrilla and not rock snot. Hydrilla was implicated at Santee, at Mountain Island the carp got rid of it as they are doing on patches in Norman.

12. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    We (Lake Norman Marine Commission) stock approx. 500 grass carp each year to graze the bottom of Lake Norman. They are like cows, they take off the top part almost to the bottom and it grows back and they return to graze again. These are sterile carp, thus they will not reproduce. Amazing thing about them is that they will hit a lure, jig or sabiki rig and are great fighters. It is unlawful to keep them. Currently, certain bow hunters are issued permits to kill them and turn them over to Duke and NCWC folks to study their age, weigh gains and other important stuff. They have made a difference on Norman and Mtn. Island lakes. Mac

PS, I wonder if Duke and/or the NCWC folks would let us have a carcass for catfish bait, nah!:angry:

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    now that might be a felony there mac....lol. i make have been wrong about the spraying on santee also. i just remember someone telling me that aircraft was used to treat the grass down there. it might of been to x-ray the grass somehow now that i think about it.