Tubes for bass fishing

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by lightningmetal10, Apr 22, 2006.

1. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Well another quick soft plastic lure question how do u typically fish a tube lure for bass just like slow retrieve or can u fish it any way u want to?
    Joe

2. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    it really depends on the fish. i do alot of tube fishing for smallmouth. if you slowly bounce it off rocks it looks like a crawfish as when you give a eratic retieve higher in water it looks more like a small baitfish. sometimes you just need a bright color for them to see i dirty water. it all depends what your aim while using the tube. if you mimicking shad use white. if mimciking crawfish use a brown color, if you want them to see it use a soft yellow, black, white color. winter fish them real slow summer speed it up. i guess with all fishing theres no set answer just guesses. once you something that works keep with but make sure u try a few others to make sure you got the best not just one that working ok. a good example of that was last year i was using a black tube and catching alot of smaller fish but i decided to change to brown and my dad said why change if its working. well on my 1st cast i nailed a 4# smallmouth then two cast after that i had a 3#. i caught just as many fish but my average weight jumped about 2#. just a few tips to help

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Bounce it off structure, logs, etc. jig it, drag it. Set the hook when you feel the slightest bite.

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Throw that tube right into the brush and let it drop. Then let it sit for a minute and twitch it a little.

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I would try anything but reeling straight in. Mix up the retrieve a little if the fish likes its action hell hammer it.

6. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    You can use a tube about anywhere. If you are using it in the structure, use a weedless jig head. I have had great success with tubes. Bounce it off the bottom, especially during spawn, or while on the beds. I have even used them at a slow retrieve and had success. Not sure what it is about them, bass lov'em. They are a great locator bait along fallen trees and such, plus inexpensive, so when you lose them, no big deal. You will lose a lot of them. I have fished them parallel to the bank, working as you would work a jig with great success.

7. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the main way to fish them is to flip them alongs logs,brush , ect. use the lightest bullet wight you can get away with in the current then a bead then a wide gap hook. let it sink slowly. ALWAYS leave some slack in your line, just a litttle. let it sink and sit there and if nuthin move it a few inches at a time pausing after each move. keep a finger on the line and if you feel a knock reel down then swing up HARD. you have to set the hook hard because its not like some lures where you are already movin it kinda fast.

8. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just toss your favorite tube into structure and twitch it a little. When you feel the slightest feeling that there is a fish set the hook with authority. Like Fatfish55 said the bait isnt already moving so you have to set the hook hard.

9. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    i was missing alot of fish on a tube until i rigged it "texposed" rig it texas style but push the hook through both sides then barley slip the point back into the plastic to keep it weedless. i don't think i've missed one since.hope this helps.
    matt

10. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    I was just about to ask how to make it weedless lol but u answered my question above thnx!!!
    Joe