Tube colors

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by zappaf19, Feb 23, 2007.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have been told to use bright colored baits on sunny days and dark baits on cloudy days. Then I was told the reverse. What do you people use on what type of day?
    Bill

2. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I have heard the same, dark for dark etc...if a man bought all that he thought he needed...he would need more tackle boxes. I have only three colors, white, yellow and green. Good luck friend.

3. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    When the water is darker, whether stained like it is here in Oklahoma quite a bit, or low light conditions, the darker colors will show up easier. I had to prove that to myself. The rule I've always followed for predator fishing is dark colors for dark water and bright colors for clear bright waters.

Crappie nibbles also help in darker water. Just tip the jig with it. I personally like dark red tubes or brown tubes with flecks on low light days.

The tricky part is to figure out what color they like on that day. Somedays my crappie box looks like a small tackle shop. When I fish with a lot of people we try to fish different colors until somebody starts catching, then the switch is on!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. He covered it well. Thanks

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yep you Guys are right dark on dark light on light Its realy what color you have the most conference in

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My favorite colored tube is red and white. I do inject crappie nibbles into them.
    I will try dark for low light conditions and see what happens.
    Thanks for the reponses!
    Bill

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    99 percent of the time,I stick with a black/chartreuse jig...blue/white the other 1 percent.I experiment more with my retrive,depth,or location.

To be honest,I would go crazy trying to change my colors also,I just want to enjoy fishing.

8. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA

9. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I think with clear water you have a lot more options. The best crappies that I've caught were from a clear pond on a bubblegum pink worm. Those meat-heads have been calling me pinky ever since! :embarassed:

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I've know people who only use black/white for all waters because you have stained and clear covered. Me I'll often go to crawdad color for clear.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use a chartreuse panfish assassin in muddy water and a white or silve rone in clear. when i run out of one or the other though, any three of the colors has worked in all waters fished!

12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I've always heard to use bright colors for stained water and any color with sparkles in it for clear water. I have the best luck using red/chart, purple/orange w/sparkles, black/chart, red/white, and blue/white.

13. Jason G

Jason G New Member

State:
    Kansas
    buy a selection and change untill something works. I have tried everything in the box one time and the last color I tried started working. I just thought that I would try a different color again to see if it would work and the bite stopped but picked right back up after changing colors again.

14. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    I normally use 4 poles off the front of my boat and start out with 4 different colors and let the crappie tell me what color they want for that period. And then you have to change again as most times that color will as the day goes on. I have been out and had to change the colors I started out with before I could find that hot color. Then again after I have change to the hot color the same pole would be catching the majority of the crappie. Then other times you are in crappie heaven and any color and any pole was going hot. That happen last Monday.