Tube Bait

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Dmitri, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anyone try this to make a tube bait "come alive?" My dad was telling me about what my grandpa, who was a pharmacist would do when they were fishing and not having much luck. I personally don't know how effective this would be, but he would either

A) put a mix of red food coloring and olive oil into the tube bait then close it off using a piece of cotton. Now, I don't believe the oil and food color will mix well, but as the tube bait was fished, the oil and the redness would slowly leak out, appearing to be an injured little shad or well, a bleeding tube. The extra stuff inside the bait also affected its actions. or

B) Crush up Alka Seltzer and put in the back of the tube bait then once again close it with a big cotton ball. This would make the bait look as though it were breathing or drowning.

I personally don't know how much it would help get a bass to strike, but it sounds to me like a great way to aggravate bass that are being docile or otherwise suspended in far and draw them out to strike. My family had great luck with it but I haven't tried it. If the cats don't start biting soon I may just go out Bass fishing again.

2. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    Great info may be worth a try.I do alot of Bass fishin and use tubes alot Thanks

3. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    That is some purty good info right there thanks for the post.

4. bobsmitter03

bobsmitter03 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    thanks for the pst ill have to try that

5. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here are some more tube tricks that I always used and had great success with but never thought they were used by pros until I saw it in a magazine called Bassin' Extra that explained why they worked so well. One of these is to use an internal weight, making it look and fall more natural. Slide a piece of lead with a hole up into the head of the tube then when threading the hook through stick it through the hole. Some other tricks were to stick a rattler inside the tube bait, or much like I suggested in my first post, fill the tube with a dye. There are several types of bass lures but so many tricks to fishing them, maybe someone could type up a mimi-guide for each bait. I'd be happy to, but then again, most of us do more catfishing that any other, so I don't know how many members it would be useful to.

6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like a good idea you should type up a guide to bass fishing.