TSpergins final curtain call, a Gathering

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by loanwizard, Jun 22, 2008.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    This weekend I had the privilege to attend and be an integral part of something special. I awakened at 3:15 am and realized that 7 days ago I had lost a friend. In that seven days I have been fascinated by others handling of their grief as well as my own for a friendship that for some was internet based. In that seven days a regular (if you can call it that) gathering turned into a memorial service, a strengthening of unique relationships, and a goodbye.
    I did not arrive until Saturday morning but heard that the Friday night attendees were up until 5 am renewing friendships and creating new ones. I haven't been feeling well for a couple of weeks, don't know what it is but something is tugging at me, not my body, but my mind. I apologize if I was short with anyone or seemed absent minded or just not with it. Anyhow, I met with Ramrod who had Tony's fishing gear in his truck that he was trying to sell to raise money for Eva. We had a private confab that turned out better than I hoped. I met a lot of people, and I hate mentioning names because I am not good at it and do not wish to hurt anyones feelings. I met Big Dave who travelled all the way from Virginia to share time and fellowship with us. I met a fella from Wayne county and his friend where we stood around his Dakota and shared precious moments. I saw lots of people that I knew already and spent a little time with everyone (I think) renewing.
    I must say that several people stuck out in my mind this weekend, people that knew Tony well. First Ramrod did an excellent job with Eva and all the turmoil around her. Jason and Dawn organized it all and did it exceptionally well. Jason (Rollo) did something special as well. The generosity of the small cadre of people from different walks of life was special. Throwing together an impromptu tourney along with a frewill offering for Eva, we managed to raise $400.00 plus whatever Ramrod sold, at least $200.00 from Tony's 2 favorite flathead combos, to John Cremeans (Fishhook), who is one I forgot to thank for his time, money, energy and time. I was stunned when I heard that Eva wanted to come to our little memorial. I was totally unprepared for that. I was drafted for the chef responsibility and I hope everyone was full. I know that we all appreciated Phils Beans, Jacks Relish tray, a special lady's Potato and macaroni salads, as well as the folks who brought buns, plates, drinks, etc...
    I was also drafted to be the MC for the service which again, I was completely unprepared for. I apologize for not being up for a public prayer or a song, which I couldn't seem to pull up from the depths. I think it came off ok. When we were done, Eva had tears running down her cheeks, emotions bubbling to the surface as her frail figure trembled with silent sobs. Somebody's beautiful young daughter looked at Eva and innocently asked, "Why are your purse straps shaking on your shoulder?" Her Mom was aghast, and as she rebuked the child, Eva looked at her, stopped, and said it's ok. I thought it was a perfect, rare, tender moment.

I found out that Eva wanted to finish the ceremony on the water, on Dillon Lake, that Tony loved so much. I cannot say on a public forum anything about an act, that while I consider awesome, is technically outside the limits of the law. I was however privileged to run alongside Fishooks boat with Jason and Johnny as John took Eva and kids on a final tour of the lake with Tony.

Later on as we readied ourselves to fish for the night, we went to the spillway which was reticent to give up the bait very easily. After 100 throws of the net and 4 yankers, we finally had enough bait for everyone. Ramrod fished with one of Tony's poles, and Rollo gave me a St Croix with an ABU attached with instructions to rig it for Tony and let it sit for the night.

After a long internal struggle I opted to drift for channels. The decision was made because I had a prop boat sticking with me, a child (Richard, that boy is VERY well behaved), and we hadf some severe storms in the neighborhood.

Anyway, Tony was with me on the boat last night, as well as Dave Crawford (Thanks for breakfast... and breakfast). Phil got a 26 lb flattie on the river (Riverside launch) winning a trophy and I was blessed to have a 9 lb 6 oz channel, a "blue channel" as Tony called them, to eke out a win over Jason's nephew at 5:30 am as the fog rolled in. Tony caught a little squealer, or dink to round things out.

Tony was with us, and if we look, he will be with us always. Thanks for the weekend brothers and sisters.

Shawn

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yes shawn,i think everything went smooth and was good also.i know when i go, i hope someone takes me around my lake also.i am glad that eva came out,and did the ceremony,i know it more than likely made her happier than setting at home,and gave a proper ceremony.
    i enjoyed being there,hearing the voices of the people i talk to on here.and i never recovered from being up talking saturday morning,but it was worth it.you guys took me and my son in being new guys,i appreciate that very much.we had a good time,he loved being on the boat.i am glad i got to get him on a boat,as he wouldn't be quiet about it all day saturday.thanks for the well behaved remark,but he was just bein shy.
    again,i would like to thank all of you,that was great,and i can't wait to do it again.this is the kind of friendship we all need.

here he is with one of his channels from last night.

Attached Files:

3. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    well, to me it was a special weekend, got to meet alot of new brothers and fished with several, while shawn was the designated grill chef for lunch, i seemed to be for breakfast lol, i know i fed a few people, a great time was had by all i believe, and to be able to share with eva and her family at this time was a privelage, i think all the brothers that were present will remember this forever, and thank you shawn for a great nite on the boat, i look foreward to the next gathering and hope to see some of you on the water soon

4. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shawn I would like to thank you for the job of MCing, cooking and boating and every thing else you did to help make this ceremony and get together a success, you did a great job. If you could have done something about the rain rain...sb

5. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    shawn your a great cook also had a great time looking forward to do it again things could nt have been any better had a great time fishing along side netman jack

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I wish I could have been there in person but I was there in spirit. My back kept me from even attempting the trip, If it wasn't for that I'd have been there.:sad2::sad2::sad2:
    When I get fixed up, our little group, The Tri-State Catfishing Mafia is going to have our own little Memorial for Tony. We'll have a special rod set up just for him and what ever it catches will be posted in Memory of Tony. I hope its a really good one, either way I know he'll be looking down smiling at us and being ticked for being sad. Its impossible not to be though. I had the pleasure of meeting him 2 or 3 times and fishing with him, Ramrod, Fishhook & Fishhook's wife in Henderson last year. Even though I only met him those few times I considered him a True Friend! I know he felt the same way because he said it in a post & a couple PM's. I also helped him out with some private issues through PM's that I Pray helped out the situation that he was so concerned about. He Truly was a Great Man!!!
    RIP Tony, You may not be here with us but will always be in our Hearts and NEVER forgotten! God Bless Eva & the rest of the Family and all of his friends. My Prayers are still being said!!!

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    It's unfortunate that your gathering turned into a memorial service, but I think Tony would be honered to know how his friends handled it. It sounds like Tony's resting in the place he wanted to be.

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yes shawn,thanks for the grill work,and the shuttling around.and also thanks to smokey for the breakfast my son really enjoyed those eggs and sausage.

9. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well stated Shawn, thanks for all you've done.

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Well said Shawn, thanks for everything this weekend. :0a31:

By the way you have a nice boat for a SeaArk. LOL:smile2::wink: I still think you need to carry a few more sinkers, your tackle box was a little on the light side (not).:wink:

Thanks again,
    David

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Was there any pictures taken?

Jaime

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what a great post!!! I unfortunatly didn't get to fish saturday night with the rest of you, but felt Tony's presence all day and evening... thanks for the great well put together gathering and look forward to seeing all of you soon again!! rollo

13. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm a heel...

I was totally unaware that Tony had passed. The last time I talked to him, must have been a day or two before it happened. During that conversation he really pushed for me to make it to the gathering, and I told him I would be there (Unfortunately, some last minute home issues came up that had to be dealt with)...

I've not been online in two or three weeks, so had no idea that he had gone.

I called his house today to ask him a question about something he had been discussing... Eva gave me the news. I felt so bad for her; I had never met her, had no idea what had gone on this weekend, and I could tell she was having a hard time even answering the phone, but the strength - you could feel the strength in her voice.

I promise I won't miss another outing, and I damn sure won't be gone for so long... I feel, like so many others, that I've lost something I will never be able to replace.

14. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    very nice post Shawn.I wish I could have made it but I couldnt. But i am sure that is the way Tony would have wanted to be laid to rest