Trying to turn a monster

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by pendog66, Feb 4, 2006.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    I was wondering if this has ever happened to you guys. I was fishing with BigCatSteve's brother Ray at a lake here about 5 minutes from my house. Now we knew there were some monster fish in this lake, i had caught a 10 pound flathead and a couple smaller blues. So I tell Ray to grab the biggest BLuegill we have out on a float,(this being the guy whose first time going fishing caught a 25 pound FLathead) We watched the bobber go nuts for about 20 minutes, when suddenly we watched it go hard right and disappeared. By the time Ray took one step to grab the pole the fish was already ripping drag out of the pole. He set the hook and got a hairball do to the force the cat was running. I watched as he got the tangle undone not seeing the float appear. I then said set it again he did and the fish got pissed. It made a be line for the opposite side of the lake. Ray couldnt turn the fish around and he snapped 30 pound fireline like a firecracker, he's still upset from this. Im just trying to figure out how big the fish was, i;ve had a boat out on the lake and its about 26 feet deep with 2 beaver dams, and is 3 to 5 acres large. Does anyone else have any stories of the fish that wouldn turn around?

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Get You some 80/20 power pro or some big mono and hold on. That is about all you can do. They say to keep the rod in the air so the fish has to work against the rod also. Others say pull towards one side or the other at a 90 degree angle so as to put pressure on one side or the other so as to turn the fish. I would try the later. It makes more sense to me. Like you are trying to stir it a certain direction.

I wish I could have been there that sounds like fun.

3. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Once a Beaver decides it wants fish for supper, it's going to have fish! Besides they're real finicky and kinda toothy when you try to remove a hook from their lips! LOL

Only The Shadow knows...

4. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    this wasnt me but when i was about 13 me and my dad were fishing at Eatwood Lake.we were fishing where we figured some big cats would be(hole over 20ft deep with lots of structure) My dad got a hit and it started running when dad set the hook his pole doubled over,he fought that fish for 45minute before finnaly snapping his 20lb test.he only moved it about 10feet in that was it

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i hooked into one at santee some years back that i never turned. i was drift fishing on a guide boat when the fish hit. man did that fish feel good. we where using abu 7000 reels and all i could was hang on. my buddy fishing with me had just caught a 25lber that never even pulled the drag that night. the fish i hooked never even knew i was there. it didnt last long and the hook pulled out. shoot it gets me excited just talking about it. i turned looked at the guide and he said "that was a good one".dagonit!!!!!

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I hooked into a sand shark while fishing at Parris Island once. Was useing a saltwater rig with big reel. Maybe 300 yds. of line. Never slowed him much less turn him. When I turned the rod/reel back into Special Services the guy just laughed, for about 10 min. :cursing:

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well I have had alot of saltwater fish spool me but that's about it. Biggest was something off of "Jhonny mercer pier" in Wilmington NC. I had half of a big spanish mackeral out and it just took off all the sudden....my clicker on my reel was screaming....I hooked the fish and it took bout 300+ yards of 30lb line off and broke it. But it wasnt a real fast fish it was just powerful and slow. It actually kind of fought like a catfish. I remember it shook it's head some too. It was crazy when he got down to my last little bit of line, my fishing line looked like it wasnt even hitting the water because of how far out the fish had went. It was definitely fun just to hook that thing. If I had something like a 12/0 Senator that day then I might have caught that thing.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like a blue cat. those blues, when "put" into those gravel pits with no current, will race back and forth at ungodly speeds when feeding. flats are really slow and steady. thats really cool to hear penn, i figured all those blues were caught out of there years ago! we might just have to hook up someday and see if we can pull some out of there.

9. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Guys:

I will tell you about a trick I learned from an Old Native up in Alaska after I had lost 4 or 5 (50# or Larger) King Salmon while fishing off a point on the Kenai River up there from the bank. He told me to hold the rod tip straight up in the air with the drag set about as tight as I could without breaking the fish off. He told me then to Strum the line (Like Picking a Guitar) and he said the fish will stop that Mad run and come back toward me. Honestly I thought this was Total B S. But the Next time I got one on I did try it and it worked. And it has worked everytime I did that afterward. Guys this will work on King Salmon with a bad attitude. If it will wotk on Cats or any other fish I do not know. But try it next time as you have nothing to lose.

Yeah I know, Probably More BS. TRY IT:

Gene

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a freind of mine showed me that trick back when we first started fishing together, but he would do it when a fish pulled him into a snag. i guess it irritates them so bad they will thrash around and sometimes work loose. ive yet to have that happen but have seen him get a couple out like that.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nate,

I'm sure it was big due to hearing you say it, but I dont like Fireline for catting. In my personal experience I find it to get cut & frayed badly is the smallest amount of rock, in return doing damage to the line. I think if you are dead set agasint using somekind of reg mono suck as Big Game, give Power Pro a shot. I know a place that had it for 1/2 price. If interested let me know, we'll see if we can go on Sunday.

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive never heard of anything like that before but heck its worth a try.That would be a neat little trick if it works.

13. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Thanks for the tip boys,I loose fish all the time in the snags.I'll for sure try it next time!:rock-big: Rock on!

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Wish I had known about that trick when I was fishing in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the Kings spooled me several times.:crying:

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well I had a cat atleast that is what I figured it was pull off. Had my line out at the steam plant back towards the plant, if a cat bites and picks up the bait the line will go realy slack. So I picked up the pole and started to reel in line and felt something but nothing to big so I started reeling a little faster and raising my pole till the line got closer to the wall and then the size of the fish hit and he went straight down and towards the wall, I couldn't do anything to get him back, whatever it was would have been nice to get in.

16. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I let the big fish make thier first and second runs. If I find I can't turn the fish I usally let the anchors go on floats and chase the fish down. Once your over the top of him don't let the pressure up. Try keeping his head up. It wears those big fish pretty fast. Thats why it's so important to have really good rods. Ones where you can added the pressure when nesseray. I found longer rods are great for this, ones over 7'. If you have the right rod you can put alot of pressure on a fish with 20-30lb test. Most of the time your not going to stop those big fish on the first runs. You may not be able to stop them but you can steer them.