Trying to stop smoking

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Fatkat, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I'm trying to stop smoking, I've tried the patches they didn't seem to help. I'm using the Nicorette fresh mint gum, that seems to help more than anything else. I was just wondering if anyone else has any tricks that might of help them, if so any help would be greatly appreciated. I really need to quit but I'm having trouble quiting, thanks.

2. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Martin,

All you need to do is, remember a carton a week is more than $160.00 a month, then just walk away from'em.

Mike

3. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

I've stopped every night for the last 40 years, It's simple just go to sleep!

All kidding aside, I've quit twice in my life for two weeks each time and was one nasty son of a gun. At a pack a day I probably won't see 70, but Grandma bless her heart smoked a pack of lucky's every day and lived until she was 93. Somethings gonna kill ya these days wether it be eggs or pork or whatever so you might as well enjoy it while you can.

(This comment is not intended to endorse nor encourages the use of tobacco products.) :rolleyes:

4. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I don't know if this will work or not but here goes. My grandfather smoked for close to 55 years. He finally quit by carry a gigantic supply of life savers with him at all times. Any time he felt like a cigarette he would just pop in another life saver. There are also fake cigarettes that you can buy. They can't be smoked and they usually have some type of flavor. That way you still get the motions of smoking without the nicotine. I have heard that a lot of people use them in bars where smoking is not allowed. Hope this helps some. Good luck to ya and I wish you the best!!!

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    after a meal , with a beer ,or coffee was the hardest withdrawal symptom i would expeiriance .
    i even have dreams were i am smokeing a ciggerette.
    i hate the smell of them now .
    but i still sometimes want one .
    ive been quit for a couple years completely .
    i quit reaching for the empty T-shirt pocket.
    in fact i quit buying T-shirts with the pockets.
    the old zippo lit newport or salem cig smell was the greatest
    smell to me as a kid . its a dang shame all the money i spent to wreck my lungs. its easy to quit but harder than anything ive encountered to stay
    that way. i had (supposedly) quit for a year or two actually it was a only
    a serious cutback in the habit . i was smokeing a few a day that i would take out of my wifes pack in the morning . and would not smoke any more till the next morning i cut down to 2 a day and i thought this is crazy why bother so i said i am bigger than a dang ciggerette and i quit.
    its hard to tell your kids not to do something that you do.
    that bothered me all the time.
    good luck brother you can do it you just got to get serious and be ready
    to feel bad for a bit but it will get better.

6. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    When you get 'sick & tired' of being 'sick & tired',you'll have no trouble givin' them up.

7. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    You right, after a meal is the hardest or in the morning with that 1st cup of coffee.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and support.

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Fatkat, I quite with hypnosis. It cost the same as a carton of cigs.
    It worked for about 3yrs, and then I just could not stand smellin' my wife (she smokes) and I was told what an @$$ I was, so like a cop out , I used these reasons to start again. Now I smoke more than ever.
    Good luck Brother and just remember, if ya really want to quite ya can. It's the stayin' quite that's the hardest.

9. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Martin, I quit about 9 years ago. Of course, I was pregnant, and went cold turkey. :rolleyes:

Things I know people have told me helps:

*Keep something around to keep your mouth occupied. Like the lifesavers, or gum, or even a straw to chew on, or ice to crunch.

*Keep something around to keep your hand occupied. Like Tim's doodle pad, or one of those stress squeeze balls.

*A friend of mine quit using the gum, but he said it was so nasty tasting at first, he had to do something to hide the taste. Hence, the "Chic-orette"...one piece of nicorette, and one piece of a chiclet, or another gum with a crunchy shell.

*Ask friends who smoke not to until you have won your battle. If you feel weird asking them to accomodate you, then you would away while they are smoking.

I think smoking cigarettes is one of the most idiotic things I have ever done. I am embarrassed, imagining what I smelled like, and how stupid I looked with a cigarette in my hand.:eek:

Good luck, we're all pulling for you!

10. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Fatkat
    I'm going through the same thing. As long as I am busy I don't have any desire to smoke. As soon as I slow down I really want one, and usually do have one.

Try-ed the patch and it did help some, but I was having a lot of really strange dreams. I was waking more tired than before I went to bed. What has worked the best is to time my smokes. I spread the times out that I allow my self to have a smoke. 1 hour, then 1.5 hours etc. It seems to be working. I am down from a pack and a half to about 1/2 pack a day! It's getting a little easier all the time.

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Fat Kat, I have been using the patches for two weeks. When the urge really gets bad, I rub the patch. It seems to shove more nicatine in my system. I have to quit myself.

Now you can keep smoking and when your about 53 and have smoked since you were 14, you might get bladder cancer. Thats what happened to me. Smoking causes it, something about all the poisens in smoke collecting in the bladder before you wizz. I though with all the beer I drank, I would never have trouble there. well I was wrong. lol lol

Now I have had to have my bladder removed and am recovering from that surgery. Hey and that surgery hurt like heck. Man they can make you suffer. lol

I know it's hard to quit, and until I got this cancer, I thought I was bullet proof. Well I'm not and I need to start taking better care of my body.

I seen a picture of an old toothless cowboy once, really rough looking fella, and under it was the caption, " If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself". Well I feel like that old cowboy.

Jim Ames

12. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I quit after somking for 40 years. I was up to about 4 packs a day when I quit. It's all in the mind. Once you have your mind set to quit, then you will. Just remember if you take one puff, you're right back where you started and you have wasted all that effort.

My worst times were at the computer where I was used to chain smoking. I got some hard candy that I liked and forced myself to use it instead. After a few weeks, I didn't need the candy any more.

I can't stand to be around second hand smoke now. My wife still smokes. If I knew how bad I smelled to non smokers, then I probably would have quit several years earlier.

Take an ashtray full of butts and ashes. Put a little water in it and stir it up. Stick your nose down there and take a big sniff. That's what a non smoker will smell when you walk into a room. Really, that's how bad you smell to someone who doesn't smoke.

Just do it. Take it one day at a time. When you get up, say "I'm not going to smoke today". Don't worry about tomorrow until it gets here. Today is what you are concerned with. Anyone can quit for just today right?

13. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I smoked for ten years. My dad was diagnosed with cancer. After seeing him die within 9 months and all the other people that was in the cancer unit from tobacco, I told myself no-way am I dieing that way. At least self inflicted. I havn't smoked for 6 years. I still crave them like candy. I guess you get told about the dangers so much, that it doesn't sink in. When I witnessed it for myself, it isn't worth it, believe me. I just wish my wife and sister didn't smoke.

Good luck

If you reaaalllly want to, remember, you can do it.

14. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I quit smoking april 3rd 1977 I smoked 4 to 5 packs a day. I will say one thing that was the smartest thing I ever did was to quit smoking. My wife quit october 10 2002 she still craves them every now and then. Good luck it is well worth it.

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I smoked at least a pack a day from age 12- and closer to 2 packs a day till last spring. I quit cold turkey in april shortly aftert seeing Peter Jennings go into chemo right there on television.

I ate about a pound of gummy bears a day for a good 2 weeks.

Did fantastic till 2 days after this last christmas when I just nonchalantly bought cigars. I dont know why I did, but I did... and since I bought at least a pack of them a day, sometimes that and a pack or 2 of cigs. it is the 17th day of the second month. My body is a smoker again no matter what my head wants to think.

I quit yesterday. I havent had one since yesterday at 6am. 24 hours and Im all done with smoking... and I will make it cause my will to quit is strong. I want to live well, not rot from the inside. I know we all go, so in preventing disease we're merely putting off the inevitable... but I like life. I want to pull in the big fins when Im my grandfather's age. I dont want to disappoint my wife or my family. so I gotta do it ll over again. And I will.

Headaches, stomache aches, tense neck, troubles.... a bad water pipe, the dog crapped in the house.... The 1st cup of coffee, the last sip of it after a meal, driving, sitting, reading or watching TV. Choose your reason to begin again and it ALWAYS seems a great idea at the time. Anything will sell if you're going into the mental justification as a willing buyer. So dont sell yourself cigs in your head anymore- and you know exactly what I am saying. Get finished with tobacco and force yourself to have a "bad breakup" with it. Like a bad breakup with a girl or a marriage... you want to feel uncomfortable and annoyed when it is around... just so you dont look at it the same. It is an old faithful pal that really will kill you.

Would you go bird hunting with Cheney if he was your pal? How bout road drinking with Kennedy if he was your buddy? These are dangerous things that we joke about "carrying an inherent promise of danger".... but really... smokes are EXPONENTIALLY WORSE. Theyre 100% surely gonna kill at least 1 in 3 that use em via cancer of the lungs alone. And thats only one option cancer has over you with respect to smoking. I havent mentioned the mouth, throat, bladder, bronchial tube, etc. I havent mentioned the heart trouble or the stomach and intestinal issues.

SO I quit too yesterday again. Be strong with me or alongside me or at a distance but be strong and I will too.

GOOD LUCK today and for as many tomorrows as youre blessed to have left. If in reading the thread you got this far, it has been surely eating at you to quit, so you may as well. And bookmark the thread so you can force yourself to look at it often as you need. You have a family with solidarity in their heart for your struggle right here.

Yours in the eternal battle,

Sal;)

16. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I watched my father fight it all his life. He won just before his death, but much too late. Besides lung cancer you have a great chance of bladder cancer.

Surround yourself with people who will support you. It may mean avoiding favorite hangouts because of the temptation.

I have heard hypnosis works and have had several friends who used it and stopped. (They now think they are chickens jk)

Do what ever it takes, but keep doing it. We will support you in any way we can.

17. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I lost my mother to lung cancer a year ago this month and she smoked every day since she was a young girl until she quit a few years ago, too late. So, I've seen what they do to people first hand and no one should have to go through that, neither the sick person or the care giver. I smoked for several years and was a three pack a day smoker and wouldn't leave the house without at least a pack and a half on me and a carton in my truck. Quitting was one of the simplest thing I've done in my life and I owe most of it to an old woman who gave me some advice that I listened to.
    First, don't quit because someone else wants you to, or you made a New Years resolution or any other silly reason. Quit only when YOU want to, when you've had enough and you don't want to do this any more. It won't work any other way.
    Second, keep your hands and mouth busy, as you've read in other posts, of people using candy, gum, toothpicks (my favorite) but the key thing is pick any of them and make it yours. Another thing that worked for me was when all else failed I did two things together, first I got my hands wet, do dishes, just wash your hands slowly, change oil in your vehicle, anything to get your hands where you can't pick up a cigarette and then follow that up by getting busy. Look at what you were doing when you wanted a cigarette and then try not to do that often or for long periods of time. Drink your coffee walking around or while doing what dishes are in the sink.
    Third, a little thing that I was told that helped a lot, "Remember, in the time it takes to smoke a cigarette you can destroy what has taken you days, week, months or years (depending on where you are at in your fight) to accomplish". I must of told myself that a thousand times and it worked for me.
    Forth, be prepared for the long run. I still was dreaming (literally) about smoking and would crave one, but only for a second, but I still wanted one years later. Yes, YEARS later, but it does gradually go away completely.
    Rewards, when I quit people told me that I would re-gain my sense of smell, my stamina would return and food would taste better and I would lose weight. Nope, not one of the things happened, I noticed no difference in any of them and I didn't care, I just wanted to quit so I did. Goes back to that first thing, quit for yourself and no other reason, it just won't work any other way.
    Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to tell you the whole story and let you know that if I can do it, you can do it.

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    C'mon FatKat, no one likes a quitter. LMAO

On a serious note, good luck in your endevors of quitting smoking.

19. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    fatkat, i smoked for years also. quit several times. a couple of times for a year or more. the worst thing you can do is start back up. it gets harder and harder to quit again.
    Christ took away my craving for good. try Him - He works like nothing else.

i wish you well in your endeavor my friend - and you also sal

20. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    Good luck FatKat! I'm tryin to quit my self.