Trying to land my fist big one!

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by CheeseBalls, Jan 26, 2009.

1. CheeseBalls

CheeseBalls New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I am new to this site and live in Omaha. I started to really get into catfishing last year and spent alot of time tring to catch my fist big one. Started late in the summer and didn't really have any luck untill the cold weather hit. Biggest so far is 13.5 lb Blue and caught several 10 lbers all on a local Zorinsky lake. I tried the Platte River and didn't have any luck, and I would love to try the Missouri. I am doing all my fishing from the bank because i do not have a boat, so finding good river access has been tuff. I fish with a 7 ft uglystick w/ Shimanno B4500(40lb grn Suffix line) & 8 ft bigwater heavy uglystick w/ Shimanno B6500(65lb grn Suffix line). I read alot about catfishing but its hard to find local tips. Any info on Missouri or Platte river fishing spots I could look into would great. Any help at all lol bait, riggs, locations. I am really excited about getting a good start on fishing in 09 and would really appriciate any help!
    Thank Everyone! Happy Fishing - Bill:wink:

2. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    If you're willing to fish the river then try Boyer Chute near Ft Calhoun. At the north end of the chute there used to be a 50 foot deep hole that you would be sucked to the bottom of if you stepped off the shore. I caught my biggest cat at Pawnee lake. The Lincoln area / Salt valley lakes are also state parks which means there is no park curfew.

3. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Welcome to the boc cheeseball you find all kinds of info here along with some great advise ,and people. I agree with the salt valley lake they are a good place with lots of fishing access.:cool2: And thanks to catmanjeff also

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people.

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    welcome to the boc

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Bill.

7. CheeseBalls

CheeseBalls New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thank you Catmanjeff for the tips, i will defineltly look into those areas for possible places to fish in 09. Is my equipment up to the big MO's standards? And any rigs that seem to work best on river? Last year i mainly bottom fished using a 2 or 3 oz egg weight-/-bead-/-swivel hook-- attached to a leader that was fed thru my cut bait with a treble hook on end. Not sure if it is the best way to go but it really the best way I know. I was kind of trial and error last year. I've been sifting through the local message boards for any helpful advise, and it seems like there are a lot of great people and amazing fisherman i could learn a thing or two from, thank you all for any and all advise.

Thanks again, Bill(CheeseBalls):smile2:

8. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC from Texas. This is a great site full of great people and good information. It's like a fishing hole off the water.

9. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    use circle hooks 8/0 a good size to go with instead of the treble hook:wink:

10. CheeseBalls

CheeseBalls New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks Jr., Im going to get up my 09 fishing license and park pass this weakend so I'll make sure to pick some of those up.

11. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Don't forget to grab an 18 pack !! I mean, well as long as your out ! :smile2::smile2:

12. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hey cheeseballs,welcome my brotha! the best advise i can give to you is BE PATIENT!! I have been fishin cats most of my life,caught a couple 20's then new years day this year i got a 45!!!!! I read that most people wont catch a trophy cat because they dont have the patience.sounds like you have made wise choices in tackle that is up to the task.do they have skippjack up there?If so ,my advice would be to git you some and go wet some lines.keep us posted on you trips.

13. CheeseBalls

CheeseBalls New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Nice cat Brian, lol I bet that was fun to land that lunker! Last year was pretty much my first year in the hunt for a trophy cats and i had a late start, probly didn't get started until summer and set in so i missed iceout and spring fishing. And I spent probly 90% of the year just sitting and waiting watching my lines and rebaitng, only getting a couple of nibbles. I probly fished 3-4 days a week... untill finally in september I had a string of 10lb plus catfish lol. And I had my best luck both times sitting in the cold rain. I think i got some good practice on patients lol, but no regrets have a blast just being out their. Any tips on catching skippjack? I've never caught one before, but have heard they are good bait... right up there with shad and bluegill.

thanks again, Bill :wink: "already have a case in the fridge Big Vic, lol"

14. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    down here we catch skippies below our dams,they really prefer fast water.white crappie jigs or sabiki rigs work the best.Cut a chunk off ,and bait up.you have to experiment with what peice they (catfish),prefer that day.sometimes the belly,some days the fillet and alot of people claim the head is the best part,though i have never had any luck with heads,i am gonna keep trying em.

15. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    welcome to the boc anything you need help with let me know might even be able to get oyu out there on a boat and show you some things i catch a lot of fish bettwen 20lb and 90 lb you ask i will tell you and help you out hte best i can

16. CheeseBalls

CheeseBalls New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks Camochris, that would be great! Last year bank fishing on the river was puzzling and i finally gave it up because i was sick of catching turtles and sturgeon. Just not sure if I had the right approach as far as my line rigging, and getting near wing dykes or log jams seemed impossible. Last year was my first attempt, at big river cats... I could use all the help possible. I would definitely take you up on any opportunities to get out in a boat, so if its every avaiable let me know or I'll drop you a thread to see were your at this year.

Thanks again, Bill

17. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    First and foremost, Welcome the BOC!

I love to fish at Two Rivers and Walnut Creek. I use the cheapest hotdogs I can buy. Then, I cut them in chunks, place them in a mason jar with a chopped up garlic clove and 2 packs of strawberry kool-aid with 2 cups of water. Then I place that concoction in the sun for 2-3 days. I use circle hooks with no weights, and a very good rod holder.

I havent caught any record size fish, or any master angler sizes either. But I have caught quite a few eaters!!!:smile2:

Hope to see you fishing!

Kenny

18. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    yeah two rivers is pretty good seen some nice channels out of there...
    if i'm not mistaking i think you have to use barbless hooks right?

19. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Lake 3 is barbless hooks and catch and release. There is a spot next to the river you can fish. The Elkhorn river can produce some good catfish too!

20. subcook

subcook Member

State:
    Grand Island, Nebraska
    welcome to the boc chessy I might be able to help with a few things but I've only been catfishing for a few years now and am learning alot from the great group of people on here and big vic has alot of great info on fishing spots and tackle choices hope it helps alil