Trying to hook up with some german/czech Wels (waller-sheatfish) fisherman

Discussion in 'EUROPEAN CATFISH' started by zmany2k, Sep 29, 2007.

1. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    I'm trying to figure out some good bait techniques, and habitats to look for some silrius galanis (did i spell that right?) I'm currently located in bavaria about an hour from the czech border and i'll be testing out for my german fishing liscense tomorrow.

These fish have been a dream of mine for about 13 years now and i'll finally be able to get a chance at them. I know it's not the perfect time of the year, but how are they in the fall?

Any input would be great as the locals "experts" think they're too "BIG" to even try for. That's what you get when fish for trout alone for too long i guess.

Thanks to any who respond.

2. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    If you can get to the River Danube as it is one of the Homes of European Wels.

3. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    I've heard that, and it's definitely an option. But local fish are reported in the 120-200 lb range and that's what i'm looking forward to doing as it's very nearby my home here. i'll be able to get a look at the animals that have made it into some of the large ponds around here as i'm volunteering to help "herd" them during a drainage scheduled for october. Then they should be getting relocated to larger bodies of water that can better support thier appetite.

rounding them up like cattle will be fun, but i'd rather help transplant them with a stiff rod and heavy tackle.

4. glen the brumsta

glen the brumsta New Member

State:
    birmingham , england
    hi zmany2k

did you catch any wells, wish i was on here earlier could have pointed you in right derection, plenty of guys here in england would have been able to help out with info i know a few guys that have fished the area.