Trying to find a V/Nam era Soldier

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by canepole, Oct 18, 2007.

1. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I am laid up for several months, And thought I would help a friend locate a buddy that he was in the Army with back in Vietnam, He was with
    2nd plt 3/506 Inf 101st Abn .the missing guy's name is Charles A Wicks, and he was from LA...
    I went to Nam in Nov 1969 and met Charles in Nov 1969 in Nam where we operated outside of An Khe in the central highlands.I was in the Battle for Hill 474 and in Cambodia and Charles was with me in both of them.Hill 474 we lost 4 of our buddies and 8 in Cambodia.In fact there is book about us called XXXXXXX .I haved try to find Charles through phone records and different websites such as the Currahee website .Whatever you can do Tom I really appreciate it..Rick
    If you all have any info, About how to go about locating this guy or if you might have known the guy please send me a PM..Tom

2. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Here's the Only picture Rick has of Charles, This was taken in 1970 ,Charles is the black guy on the right. If some of you all want to get in on the search, Let me know,, Thx Tom

Attached Files:

3. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I just wanted to let you know I may have hit pay dirt on this, One of the member's sent me a possible hit, I forwarded the info To Rick, and hopefully he will be in touch with his long lost friend, I will keep you all posted, Thx again,Tom.
    P.S You all are the Greatest...

4. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I know you all are waiting for the news, I still havn't heard from Rick, But as soon as I do, I'll let you all know. I just sent him a email and told him he had a whole lot of people rooting for him,in his search..........Tom

5. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    While we wait for the news I thought I would share a picture of Rick, This picture was taken when he was 19, He is holding a SKS that was captured in a firefight.

Attached Files:

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    tyr using this site. i've found several of my old friends from back then and several have located me throught it
    http://www.military.com/
    gary

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i was hoping that wasn't GI firearm he's holding:smile2:

8. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Hi Tom
    Did not get a chance to read my e-mails till late today.But I did call 3 times and the voice message sound like a Steve Sinclair? Anyways I left a message telling who I was and who I was looking for and we were in Nam together.Will try again because the number could be a relative orsomething.Keeping my fingers cross.The number I dial was 803-806-2167..Thanks so much for your help..Rick

Tom Lumpkins <wrote:
    I got that info early today and was wondering if you had a chance to make that call yet, There's a whole lot of people that are rooting for you. and I have been talking to the lord today. praying for you.
    If it don't pan out I got a new connection, that we can try, Tom

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    BROTHER
    I hope you get the call.:big_smile:

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Good luck Tom. Hope ya find your buddy.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My hat is off to you fellas and good luck on your quest

12. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    **UPDATE** WE ARE STILL TRYING TO FIND CHARLES A WICKS,I found this info yesterday and thought I would share it with you all, There may be others on here that would like to find a old Army buddy {Marine/Navy/Airforce} I still can use some help, if one of you all are subcribed to one of the people search sites, I would be grateful if you would run Charles A Wicks, last known LA.Thx Tom
    Date Created
    12/13/2004 01:12 PM

Date Updated
    12/13/2004 01:12 PM

Print FAQ

E-mail FAQ Can VA help me to locate a veteran?

Inquiry
    I want to get in touch with a veteran and would like to know if VA can help me find him. Can VA help me to locate a veteran? If so, how?

FAQ
    As a Federal agency that is required by law to enforce the Privacy Act, we are obliged to protect the privacy of veterans' personal information. Therefore, VA cannot release personal information about a veteran in our records system without that person's permission. We can, however, forward a message from you to the veteran, providing the veteran has filed a claim with VA, and we have an address on record. To forward a message, you must please write your message and place it in an unsealed, stamped envelope. Also include a note to VA explaining who it is you are trying to reach and add as much identifying information as you have. Place all of this in another envelope addressed to the nearest U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office (you can find the address in at http://www.va.gov/station/index.htm#facility or in the "blue" pages of your telephone book). If the veteran is in our records, your message to the veteran will be sealed and the envelop addressed to the address we have on file for the veteran. Please note that the veteran may not have informed us of a change of address, so we cannot guarantee receipt of your message. If the veteran receives your note, it is then up to the veteran to contact you. If you have questions, you can reach the regional office via phone at 1-800-827-1000. This process is designed to protect the privacy of our veterans as required by law.

13. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Just thought I would give you all a update, We still havn't found Charles, Richard is sending the letter to the VA and if I get any info I'll share it with you all...

14. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Well Richard sent the letter out and its not looking good, I got a email from him about a week or so ago and he hasn't got a reply from the note he sent thru the VA....

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    LA= Lousiana or Los Angeles?