Trying to find a hunting rifle for deer around 150.00

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flatheadchris, Nov 15, 2006.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well ive been looking everywhere in the upstate and cant find one.yea i know 150 is a lil low for a rifle but ive seen lever action 30-30's for 200 so i might get lucky and find one.if u guys dont mind keep a eye out and see if u can find me something,i dont care what it is as long as it isnt single shot. and can kill a deer :)

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Chris, you might like an SKS. The last I heard you could still get them for around $125 new/never issued. They are 7.62 x 39 mm which has about the same ballistics as .30-30. and it is a 10 shot semi-automatic. They are a fun gun to plink and play with to.

st

3. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I been lookng too for an economical rifle. I found the following to be helpful, but you will need to know someone who is a registered fire arms dealer for the process of the sale, unless you find the gun in for sale in your state.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/

Kenny

4. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I bought my son a SKS for his first deer rifle, it works real well with soft points.
    A person should be able to find one in your price range, maybe go to a local gun show?

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Chris check at your local pawn shops and have the cash with you. They will have some priced a little higher but haggle and do NOT be afraid to walk out with your money if they are not willing to be flexible.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Yeah the pawn shops around here usually have SKS for no more than $150.

7. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris the Roses store in the Florence mall used to sell mil-surp rifles real cheap I bought a 308 enfield for around $65 and a Nosin Nagent something like that years ago for about the same killed deer with both no problem... The Nosin was brand new never issued... But man that was a long time ago and both guns are now just a memory... Brother in law got strung out on crack back in the mid 90's and stole all my guns one night...

8. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    eh i dont want to deal with mulsurp rifles cause of having to clean the cosmoline etc.my local shop has sks's for 129.99 and mosin nagants for 99.99.im looking for a newer rifle.

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Any chance of a shotgun.Mossburg 500 runs about that price...sometimes with a extra rifled barrel.If shots are under 100 yards,slugs will do the trick,plus you can use the scattergun for other things.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Chris don't sell the SKS short buddy. I've got a chinese one that will shoot 3" groups at a 100 and it's got a chromed chamber. U can clean off the cosmo with brake cleaner, little left on the stock won't hurt anything. Don't oil the gas piston assbly., but everything else. The ammo is cheap & not corrosive. Use sp or hp. Think it will do better than u think. They are buried all over America. Kerosine works well on the cosmo too. Big pan an a parts cleaning brush...wish I had picked up a couple more when they were under $100. Good luck. Good hunting.
    :smile2:

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've dodged a few bullets from those sks and ak's back around '69, and I can tell ya, they're pretty darn accurate. :lol:
    I bought an sks for my daughter once, and it would shoot easily within 3" at 200 yds which is about as far as I would recommend shooting a deer.

12. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    you should be able to find the mosin m44 at Big five, if there have them where you are. it runs bout 100.00. it is mil surplus. but the round is great for deer. 7.62x54. they are still cheap and easy to get. bout 60.00 bucks for a tin of 440 rds.

the sks is nice. but I have been having trouble getting the rounds. seems they are all going over seas.

good luck and good hunting.

13. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I found a lightly used Savage 30/06 for $180 from a private seller.
    Man its been a great gun.

14. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well surplus guns are out of the question,i took a look at em today with my uncle[hes a gunsmith,well used to be] he said that the rifling in every one of them guns that the tackle shop had was bad,real dark bores too.

shotguns can be well,but would definitly have to be a pump.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Mossberg ATR 100 .30-06 sprf. are $244 at Wal Mart. just a thought

16. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    150ish my limit,wish i could afford 250.00

17. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Check all pawn shops for a Savage 270. 150.00 is a fair price for a used one. Best cheap gun you'll ever buy.

18. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    im going out tomorrow for gun shopping.i forgot i had a 22 pistol,il see how much pawn credit i can get for it so i can trade it and the $ for a nice