Trying to decide on motor.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by coorsdrifter, Apr 4, 2009.

1. coorsdrifter

coorsdrifter New Member

State:
    Eddyville,Ky
    Trying to decide between getting a Yamaha 25hp 2stroke or a Merc 25hp 4stroke.Motor will be going on a 16' flat bottom,aluminum,jon boat.It will be mainly used on large lakes,possibly in river with moderate current.
    Any suggestions which way to go?

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I can't comment on which motor to get, though I will suggest to go BIGGER!

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I like the yamaha motors. But your wallet will like that 4 stroke Mercury.

4. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I may be wrong here, but I think that yamaha makes mercury now, so they are basically the same. Not 100% sure though someone may know more about this.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Gary!! Not sure on the price comparison between the 2 stroke and the 4 stroke. I will say the 4-stroke offers many better features.

1. Quiter
    2. No worrying about the gas and oil mixture
    3. Cleaner running. No smoke! Better for the enviroment!
    4. Better fuel mileage. save money for sure!! cost effecient
    that's just a few advantages about the 4-stroke.

I have a 50hp 4-stroke that runs like a champ. Never will go back to a 2-stroke! Easy starting too. Even after they sit all winter.. that's a plus!

6. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All I can say is regardless of what brand you decided to go with, GET A 4 STROKE! I just bought a new boat and it has a 90hp Mercury four stroke, I honestly think it makes gas instead of burning it :cool2:. Its on an 18 foot Crestliner jon, fully loaded with all my stuff. I went out 3 days in a row averaging 40 miles each day and the boat was showing 1/2 tank of gas at the end of the third day. Well, filled it up after that and it took 8.9 gallons to fill it so thats hard to beat. Another thing that helps is making sure you don't under power the boat. So, if you can afford a bigger motor and you're boat is rated for it then I would recommend going as big as you can afford. I also hear good things about Suzuki outboards. The four stroke motors are super quiet and I definately don't miss the big smoke cloud every time you start one up! Chris

7. CoyoteCatfish

CoyoteCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Boats, tractors, trucks. Long after the joy of saving some money is remembered, you will be married to your purchase. Buy the best you can afford, get the luxuries you want. They will be enjoyed for many years and appreciated. I would definitely go with a 4 stroke no question. For me the question came down to weight and my back. I wanted electric tilt. (Oh how I love it.) What I did was I bought a new motor but a fixer up boat and trailer. Ill get the better boat later. Hope this helps.

8. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you want an old man's advice- Most of these guys who are so crazy about 4-strokes are happy because they are running NEW motors. Wait a couple of years until things start wearing out and they have to start replacing parts. 2-strokes have been around for a LONG time (look at the outboards from the 50s and 60s that are still running). If I could buy a new 25hp 2-stroke I would jump on it in a heart beat. In this day of high gas prices ($4.00 gas WILL be back) I think you are on the right track with a 16 ft. jon and a light weight 25 hp 2-stroke.

9. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    I've been running a 4 stroke 60 H.P. Johnson starting on the fourth year this past January with no problems. Love it, especially gas mileage and no costly 2 cycle oil. I would go with the 25 Merc., electric tilt. Good low end torque but might not be as fast as the 2 stroke in same horsepower. Keep the r.p.m.s in suggested range, follow proper break in procedure and you should be good to go. Personally I would not go back to a 2. Here in N.C. we can usually run year round. I use my boat weekly if weather and health allow it. This is just my opinion, whatever its worth ! Fred

10. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    Unless you want to do a lot of slow trolling get an e-tech no maintance for 3 years. Fuel injected 2 stroke. Will use less gas than any 4 stroke will outperform any 4 stroke. Why would anyone put up with having a valve train when you don''t have too. Suggest you get and OMC free DVD. Lighter weight and never an oil change.

11. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I vote for E-tec. I have a 90 horse on my 20 foot jon boat. Its three years old and I have not had a single problem with it. It gets great fuel economy and starts at the touch of the key. I got a 7 year warr. when I bought it. I understand they will have a 25 horse this summer and I am going to get one for my 14 foot wide jon. I have a honda 4 stroke on the 14 foot jon that is five years old and I have to replace the water pump impeller every year. No more hondas for me! Catfishjon

12. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Ron, I agree you won't have to change the oil ever on the 2. I never did for years. You will be burning it all the time the engine is running. On a properly serviced 4 stroke engine you will have no more valve train problems than with your truck or car. We have used valve trains for years and years ! Fred

13. coorsdrifter

coorsdrifter New Member

State:
    Eddyville,Ky
    Thanks for all the input.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Ron hit the nail on the head.
    Nobody is talking about the cons of a 4 stroke.
    Number one is weight. They are heavier. Your boat that is rated for 100 horses might not be rated fro 100 horses in a 4 stroke.

Yea, 2 strokes have been around a long time and it's not uncommon to see some engines out there 30, 40, 50 or more years old still being used.
    You wont see this in a 4 stroke ever I dont think because they are going to wind up being disposable motors for the most part. Rebuilds will be too costly.

I like 4 strokes but they aren't the godsend people make them out to be and there are other options in two strokes like the E-Tec.
    I would seriously consider an E-Tec before I bought a 4 stroke.
    I think the E-Tec is the godsend fellas. Half the moving parts to wear out.

15. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I knew Mark J would agree with me on this- Thanx Mark- I just checked out the E-Tec website- I think everyone should. I AM kind of disappointed in the weight of these 25hp motors though----

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Of course everyone has their opinion, but I'd much prefer a Johnson or Evenrude over a Mercury. The merc's are good motors, but unless you want to take a mechanic course on merc motors they are expensive. Johnson and Evinrudes are just so much easier to work on.

17. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I agree with Mark J.....except in the motor size he is talking about E-tec as heavy as a 4 stroke (or at least close).

I have a yamaha 25hp 2 stroke, and i have no complaints on the gas. Took my 1448 jon out July 4th weekend last year, went over 40 miles in 2 days on LESS THAN 3 gallons of gas. The yamaha 2 strokes are efficient as far as i can tell; lot more efficient and quieter than the older evinrudes i grew up with. If you really want to, you can mix the yamaha 25hp 100:1....that's what it says to run. I personally run 50:1, for better protection, but thats just me.

Weight and cost are the biggest problems with 4 strokes...... they cost more to buy, and on a little boat like yours (16ft) they are really heavy for what you get. Plus when something goes wrong (and they will all need work eventually), it costs a lot more to fix the 4 stroke. Now on big boats, the 4 strokes are nice because of the efficiency, and the weight isn't as big a deal.....but he's not talking about a big fiberglass boat.