Trying to buy just the boat. Dealer says no, full package deals only?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by spoonfish, Jul 11, 2006.

1. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I'm looking to buy a 20 ft. CC aluminum boat and called my local lowe dealer to check what they would sell them for. I plan to use the motor off my old tri-hull and trailer so all I need is the boat and evinrude controls. They tell me that they are package deals only and sorry. Do I need to go directly to the manufacture or is there some where to get just the boat. I relize the motor and rigging is where these dealers make there profits but I have a motor and trailer so all I need is the boat.

2. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    I would write that dealer off and try another one. You could also contact the manufacturer and explain your predicament. I am sure they will give you a hand. They want as many boats out there with there name on it as possible evn if they don't get to sell an engine as well. Good Luck.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Thats sounds weird. The boat dealer closest to me will sell any boat as a package or you can buy seperates. I don;t know what to tell you. I think most reputable dealers would be willing to work with your personal needs.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Find another dealer. Most dealers will sale you what you want.

5. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep, keep looking. As farfetched as it sounds, there are still some retailers that believe in customer service.

6. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    I agree with all these guys, find another dealer. I was always raised it is what the customer wants within reason, and just boat dont sound like a big demand to a boat dealer to me. :lol:

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    find another dealer. Find one that knows and understands what customer service is and that making a profit is not always the right thing. Sometimes the best way to make money, is to make a cutomer really pleased by doing what no one else can/will do.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I sent you a PM... The dealer in Lee's Summit will be happy to sell you a boat and trailer only.

I think some of these dealers refuse to work with you because they're getting enough "good" business that they don't need to take the special cases. Unfortunately, they forget that word travels fast. I know exactly the dealer you're referring to and while I've considered buying a boat from them in the past, their stock just went down a few points in my book and I'll probably do business elsewhere instead.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I had a dealer tell me that same thing. But then again he was a Yamaha dealer and was stuck with package boats only. some of them out there is like that.
    So as others has stated. Look somewhere else. They will sell you the boat only.
    Pete

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thanks for the replys guys! Sent a e-mail to the manufacture saying I need a dealer that has some customer service as apearently this one does not. Also asked if possible to buy direct from them but I doubt they will do that, will see if I get a responce. Will try lee sumit and also found a couple others I will try. The things a guy has to go thru to spend money......:crazy:

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I agree, Find a new dealer.. Most I go to will config a boat anyway you want it..

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Hey if you want to spend money, I can help...

Steve Brown says he'll be selling his 21 ft Crestliner this fall for something around $30k. Apparently Suzuki doesn't want to sponsor him with their engine on a Mercury-company boat...

If I could scrape up the cash, I'd buy it in a heartbeat - it's one sweet catfishing machine. Of course, then I'd have to buy a bigger truck to pull it around with and a bigger house so I'd have a place to store it, but those are just minor details...

13. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Sounds like a salesman trying to make all the money he can off of a sale. Try anothe dealer, heck try as many dealers you can and find the best deal available.

14. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Find one that is hungry and getting started and they will sell you the shirt off their back if you are willing to buy it.

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Recived this e-mail back from another dealer.

I can help.
    The only problem with not needing a trailer is that I have to be able to get the boat from the plant to my shop….unless you have a trailer I can use. If not, than I have a 20ft trailer, that I would have no use for.
    Being a Mercury & Evinrude dealer, I can swap controls no problem.
    Give me a call and we can discuss further, and come up with some pricing.

Seems theres a lot of difference in dealerships as to doing what it takes to meet there customers demands. Will check this one and some more to see what they can come up with. Thanks......

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have the same problem. I paid 14,000 cash for my boat and motor and two weeks later went back to my dealer and told him I bought the wrong boat it wasn't working out as I expected. I futher told him what I wanted and that I knew he had to make money it wasn't his mistake that I bought the wrong boat. He said he didn't want nothing to do with it and that he could only help me if I wanted to buy new everything. He would not sell me a boat without a motor. Needless to say I will not but another boat from him of any kind. I have since sent e-mail to several boat dealers and nothing happenes. Last week I sent an e-mail to war eagle the company and told them what I wanted to do and would travel for the right boat at the right price. They e-mailed me back and ask for my address. We will see what happenes next.

I too want a bigger boat, 20 to 24 foot center counsel I have a 90 mercury on my polar kraft I would use and then sell the polar kraft. The polar kraft is a great boat it's all set up. I want something with just a front platform and lots of lower floor space.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I doubt this is just a matter of customer service or a reputable dealer.
    Ever thought this could be how he is set up to do business?
    Nothing wrong with that if its the case.
    In fact it may be real smart on his part.

I'm the same way in my business.
    Dont call me to wire the shed you just put behind your NEW house.
    Oh I have several people call me all the time for those 'little" jobs you cant make any money on yet they'll call the highest man around for the gravy work. I don't play that game.

Just because someone owns a business doesn't require them to do business your way. In this day and time your business has to be geared towards maximizing profits and not losing money for the sake of a sale.
    Being in business, any kind of business is very costly. Try it sometime.
    If it aint the tax man beating your door down its the insurance man or the phone company.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Some folks just don't see the forest for the trees...

Take care of that "little job" for me, do good work and who do you think I'll remember the next time I build a house or have a friend looking for a contractor to do a big job? And if you won't do that "little job" for me, who do you think I'll go out of my way to *avoid* the next time?

If you've got enough "good" work that you don't need to mess with the little jobs, then go right ahead. But I hope you have a plan in place for when the well runs dry.

My wife and I run a little internet retail business selling embroidery thread. We get folks all the time who will order 1 tiny little spool of thread - we barely break even on those kinds of orders, but we fill them just as promptly and carefully as the $500 orders. And guess how many of those 1-spool customers come back later with big orders? Nearly all of them.

Sure, I could put those orders at the bottom of the stack and fill them in a few days or whenever I get around to it - there are always bigger orders waiting for us - but I'm smart enough to know where the big orders come from and will invest the time and effort required to tend my "garden" of customers.

The most frequent comment we get from our customers? "I can't believe how quickly you shipped my order! I'll be back for more and I'm telling all my friends!"

These boat dealers just don't seem to get it - take care of my "little job" now and I'll almost certainly be back later with a "big job" - and if you do a good job, I'll tell all my friends where they can get a good deal.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    This is exactly my point.
    You do business the way you do it, I do it my way, and the boat dealer does it his way.
    Any of the 3 ways isnt right or wrong, its how HE chooses to run HIS business.
    I dont see the need for bashing someone because he wont sell the way YOU want him to sell.

You have a problem with boat dealers, roll up your sleeves, research, and build your own. Thats exactly what I do and have never looked back.:smile2:

20. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Call me, I will wire the shed behind your new house! Them little jobs are the gravy if you ask me!
    You have to look at the big picture! By working with our B.O.C. member he may have sold several complete boat packages to other members! If the bussiness was local to me, I'd go out of my way to make sure he did'nt get my money! Thats the way it works!