Trying the White River early for blues

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by whiteriverbigcats, Feb 18, 2008.

1. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have been thinking and Ever since going to the Cumberland City Fish and Camp I have been pondering trying for blues in the white river in my local area.. Got some frozen skipjack to try and hope it works... Will be going out to my Local spots early March... I know the White has some big blues in it. I have seen 50+ pounders Pull from two of my local holes... Just thought I would let some know cause I never know what might happen.. Could be great could be bad.. But I dont care as long as Im fishing...

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Go get em Shane! Good or bad, better than siitin in the house. Be sure to get some pics.

3. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    go get them shane i,m going this weekend if it warms up a tad down by martinsville right off 39 bridge look for me if you get down this far . wish ya luck !!!

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I will be just north of there at the IPL Dam.. Its deep and i might possible try right where 39 comes to 67

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    good luck go get em !!!

6. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Good luck Shane! Last time I fished there, my gas tank got siphoned and a buddy of mine had his truck broken into. Be safe.

7. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    I've been fishing the white river for awhile now and I have never caught a blue out of it. I've fished from spencer all the way as far as noblesville. Huh! did not know that there were monsters in there, Blues that is?

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    you bank fishing shane?

9. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ironcat....there are lots of big cats around Spencer. I fish there all the time in the summer. One spot you will hang into some monsters is just on the west side of town. Just after 46 and 267 split, take 267 south. Go about 2 blocks and there is a road on your right. I think it goes to a gravel pit. Just back north towards town, you will see a pull off. It will be on the river side of the road. There is an old driveway that goes into the woods. Walk down that drive, cross the railroad tracks. About 100 yards back north is a large boulder wall. The current runs straight head on into that wall and had a deep hole there. We fish from there south. It is hard to get down to the river there but if you go, take some big tackle. You will loose some lines on snags but you will also loose some lines on big fish. Stay in touch and lets hit it this year.

10. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    diver your right about that spot i usually hit it from the boat we launch at spencer and go down and about a 1/2 mi past it is some good spots too there,s a road near them too but i dont know how to get to those roads and you can tell ppl bank fish those spots due to paths seen there i hope this helps anyone

11. Shadow Hunter

Shadow Hunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks guys for some local info. I usually launch at Henderson Ford Rd. I`ve always had pretty good luck there. Not to much at Waverlythough. Also like going to East fork at Seymor,Medora, Sparksville, & Williams. I think it`s good to share some local info. There`s a reason were BOC brothers and I dont see anything wrong with sharing with my brothers. Good luck to all! :0a31::0a26::0a23:

12. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    diver I know the spot your talking about.My buddy lost the biggest fish of his life while fishing that hole.I just have never heard of any blues being caught out of the white river until you get passed bedford.I've caught alot of flathead and channels,but have never seen are caught a blue out of white river especially around Henderson Ford,waverely,and downtown.

13. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    I have never seen them caught above the IPL dam in Martinsville...but south of it around Gosport and Spencer I have caught a few. You would think that in a flooding condition they could make it over the dam pretty easily...but maybe not?

14. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The IP&L dam on Bluebluff Rd., and the Hendersonford Rd. area are both pretty decent places for some nice flatties, but dont forget about the area down by the gravel pit south of Martinsville, I've taken some nice flats and an occasional spoonbill out of there.

15. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Bruce,
    Do you know if the boat ramp on the south east side of town is any good? The last time I was there it was under water so I didn't actually see it.
    Thanks...W

16. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Metalman...I have never launched a boat from there, only canoes. You might ask IndyCatGuy. I know he has launched his boat there before. I know looking at it, it looks ok but the way the current goes across the ramp, it seems that it is a short ramp. If so you might back your trailer off the end of the ramp but I am not sure. I am sorry I cant give you better info than this. I do know upriver past 46, you can find some nice drums also. Futher northe where the creek from McComicks Creek park empties in, you can find some real nice saugeyes. Hope this helps.

17. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    I have launched an 18' RiverPro there a few times and my 16' boat as well. As long as the water is at normal level it is ok. The current can be tricky when trailering the boat. The biggest worry there is trees falling on the ramp and mud...lots and lots of mud.

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always wondered about that.:big_smile: