trying my hand at taxadermy

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JERMSQUIRM, Dec 20, 2005.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok fellas. ive been real artistic in my days and am pretty good at everything ive set my mind too. ive fallen prey to some buddies. my uncle got the kit and didn't even attempt it after watching the video. a friend had a 9 almost ten point froze from 2003. he paied my uncle for the kit and brought it to me. if all works out ill be doing a few next season too and may start doing this as a second job.

here are some steps ive done so far. remarkably the size of the mount fit the deer perfect.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the tag is on the wall and its legal before anyone asks :D

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    tonight i need to remove horns and bondo cap i made and boil in the calcium something or another lol. and the hide it off and i need to begin pickeling and tanning it. i only have a coulpe tiny holes so i did pretty good. one is under chin and one hidden behind ear. easy to sew and hide. ill post more pics later.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great start. So are you going to do my big buck next year? ;) I get the BOC discount right? :)

5. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    A friend of mine that lives in Beason has been talking about getting into tanning. Maybe you guys should get together and experience the hard knocks together. lol

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Very Good So Far. I wouldn't even try to do that.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    were salting the green hide now to set the hair. got the antlers cleaned and shaped. the pilot holes drilled. tomorrow we use acid pickling to the hide. then got to do the face fleshing. ordering a knife to do that now. i think i can do a pretty good job. ill post some more pics soon.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    TEST FITTING THE GREEN HIDE BEFORE TANNING. an important step in testing the maniquin size.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    more pic's. this includes the antlers with skull boiled in sodium carbonate and cleaned with wire brush. the 3 holes drilled for mounting screws.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    still in the tanning process and waiting on tools. one thing i will be offering soon is horn mounts. these are my first two sets. very tight felt and tight tucks into horns. could be a new sponser on the b.o.c. soon.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    im needing some practice. any one wanting some horns mounted like these pm me. ill prob be doing these and head mounts by next season im hoping. then i will officially be opening for actual buisness. then sponser talks may begin. with b.o.c discpunts of course lol. :D

12. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i wouldn't want your job at all...lol.. to tedious and to much pain in the @$$ besidesthe way my luck was this year with deer hunting it would be along time before i get another one but i did get a wild hog think you would be willing to try one of those???
    my buddies uncle does his own mounts and he uses bondo for the ear molds what did you use?

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hey Jeremy, I have a friend that's just getting into this stuff. He's already got the tanning down and he's done several nice head mounts. He's just starting to learn antler mounting and he's done 5 so far for me. This one has the store bought plaque, but he makes his own, which turn out much better in my opinion. Instead of the velvet covering he uses some Mossy Oak cloth. Makes it look pretty unique to say the least. I really like them like this. He can turn one out over night if he already has the plaques made. I kind of like your state for a plaque, but I don't think Tennessee would look too good, but you never know. Just an idea for you to try out with the Mossy Oak.

Attached Files:

14. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Cats4uandme, I've done a bit of fleshing in the past. I did use a fleshing machine for the major parts, but on the face and head a simple pair of scissors can work wonders. Just hold your hide in the hand opposite of your scissors hand so that the meat is protruding out a bit, then take your scissors hand and lay the scissors flat on their side and snip as if you are trying to shave the hide. After a couple of hides you will be a pro. Be extremely careful around the eyelids and lips, because the hide is very thin in those areas. The best preservative there is, is more than likely the dry tan or similar product. Mckenzie carries a good bit of dry tan preservative and it can be rubbed on after the defleshing process and mounted right away or frozen to be mounted at a later date. A word of advice that I can give would be to order forms that have realistic qualities and also add character to the mount. There are a lot of forms out there that doesn't give credit to the mount that is put on them. Good luck and best wishes. Vern

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Jeremy, I used to flesh out coon hides just like they were going to be a life sized mount and tanned them courtesy of knowledge obtained from the Foxfire series of books.
    I was probally the only highschooler with coon skin floor mats in my truck back in those days.

16. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Jeremy ,hey before you get going to deep in to Taxidermy work for others, you need to get your taxidermy license.You can do your own without having a license. But the state says if you do any type of mount for others you have to have one. I have been doing it for the last 22 years and thay are real sticklers on this. The one you are working on now if I understand right is your friends . So the deer would have his name and tag # on it. I've been told
    that the fines start out at $500.00. I do not know if that is right or not. But if you need any help P.M. me. :)

BIGCAT GarryEads

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    really. guess ya have to have a liscense for everything now a days. what do they run? thanks for the tips guys.

whistler i am looking at some realtree material mow. just ud=sing the felt to get started.

as for the dry preserves ive seen them and if i take this profession to the extent im hoping i will continue to use the tanning process. a tan peiece of leather is much bretter than a dry preserved skin.

whistler i did 3 last night. well mounted one full and got two others on plaques ready to have the bondo put on for covering. heres the one i did last night.

p.s. and this is his dads with his either sex tag archery. and im attaching the tags to the backs on the plaques.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    more steps. this one has a lot of details and extras.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this is the end result. gonna do the other two as soon as he brings more bondo.

20. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Jeremy, I think it is $25.00 a year in Ill. That's not bad it's all the paper work you have to do. On the deer antlers you're working on, if you use papier-mache you do not have to use the bondo.When the papier-mache starts to
    set up ,you can wet your fingers and smooth it out. :rolleyes:

BIGCAT GarryEads