trying for river chubs or suckers

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by readingcatfisher, Dec 19, 2008.

1. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    any advice or tips to try to catch these fish with rod and reel?

2. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    I'd take the kids with me, it seems us high tech fishermen sometimes try to hard to get them and a little one catches more on accident than I can on purpose. Just a half a beemoth, on a teeny hook and let the kid drag it all over and wa la peanut butter sandwiches just like magic they fill up my bucket lol.

3. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I'll be doin that in spring when I really need bait in a hurry 1 out of 3 kids likes fishing so I know when he gets older he will enjoy going after the bigguns

4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jim I use a microspin rod with 2lb test on it for the pleasure of catching them. I use the smallest hook I can find and bait it with bread. I can take one slice of white bread to the creek behind the house here and catch enough for two trips. Pinch off a tiny little piece of the bread and ball it up then squeeze it around the tip of your hook then drop it down into a 3-4 feet deep section of any clear water creek and it wont take long.

5. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Oh yeah and for the suckers in the river I use whole kernel corn or a large ball of bread.

Shane

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Get a can of corn from the supermarket and use a small hook. Ive caught both suckers and chubs on it. But the best and fastest way to catch them is a small 4' cast net. Find a narrow shallow creek with occasional pools just large enough for the cast net and toss a few times. Then continue on to the next pool.

7. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Dig up some red worms and use the smallest hook u han find. Or you could toss some little pieces bread or corn out to them to start feeding. Then use a little curl tail grub.

Thats what I do.

8. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I've used jumper worms but I can never catch either consistently on any bait homemade dough corn it doesn't matter

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Used to catch a lot of them in Iowa growing up, and still do whenever I go home on vacation. Always just used a small hook and half a night crawler. I can't use 2# test though fishing in water with suckers back there though, because the suckers range from the black suckers that might hit 2lbs. to the redhorse suckers that will go over 7lbs. and break 10# test if you try to lock them down. Plus, it never fails that you're filling a bucket with river chubs, shiners, creek chubs, and stone loaches...when about a 2lbs. smallmouth, or a giant carp will come in for a bite!

All you gotta have is a small hook and just enough splitshot to get it down slowly. Same thing I use to catch golden shiners in the creeks around here. Except here there are no suckers, and I don't think the carp here even know what a nightcrawler is! lol

10. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    still around my area just can't seem to do it consistently I guess I'll have to wait till spring and try for them reall y try

11. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I'm still looking for suggestions for trying to catch suckers or river chubs on a consistent basis

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
  13. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    you gotta find a good not-heavily-fished pool in a little creek or stream for chubs and do the whole little hook thing with small bait. in these kinds of places i've had all the chubs escape the net. suckers on the other hand are easily caught at the start of the season with a net in slower water on the river - low-head dam corners especially. you can just look down at some of those corners and see hundreds of suckers. there are always better days than others though... consistency is not always gonna happen.