Trying for flathead catfish - What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatheadchris, May 1, 2006.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    ok,i was at a so and so pay lake friday night and i was fishing for the bigguns.i was fishing on bottom with cut bream on a 1/0 hook and a slip sinker.i was fishing all the holes and the water was about 60* degrees.did i do something wrong? i didnt get a bite,and that place was crawling with fish..

2. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yes it was all yout fault NOTTTT!!! They just were not interested in whatever you had on the hook. Take a good variety of bait and switch out. Welcome to the BOC!!!

3. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    i think you'll get better flat action out of a pond when the water temps hit alot warmer than 60...just be patient.

4. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    haha lady.... i was useing bream,cut crappie, and gizzard shad

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Many of us do not agree with ********, in fact, talk badley about them. They take our fish from our Rivers where they are not able to reproduce anymore in the river. You are basically shooting fish in a barrell.

Not downing ya, just puting a point of view out there for ya. Good luck on the water brother.

6. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well i fish at pay lakes because we dont own a boat right now and theres not that many places u can fish from a bank to catch the big ones at around here.

7. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    don't take teas comment to harshly...we're glad you joined the BOC and you have the God given right to fish wherever you want. but as tea said some people around this forum are anti-p@ylake. so you're going to get mixed reactions....

8. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    eh im cool:confused2:

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Pay Lake fish are funny eaters imho. I've seen 40lb flathead take liver over a live blue gill and have seen em caught on doughballs many times.. Generally, Flatties tend to like live bait over all others, least thats what I always heard so who knows..... I've seen em caught left and right, and other nites where no one on the lake getting any bites.. so it may not been anything your doing....

There is a pay lake local to me I sometimes hit just to play around with the carp... They have huge ones there and everybody goes to fish for cats... $7 for 12 hours of carp fishing fun is worth it to me .... Good luck to you and tight lines..

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    BOC Rules-

"B. Pay lakes: Mentioning or inquiring about pay lake tournaments at pay lakes, or other posts about specific pay lakes or pay lakes in general is not permitted on the BOC. It amounts to free advertising for a pay lake, and any such posts will be removed."

11. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    you also have to remember it is a business, so they want your money, but they also want to limit the amount of fish that are caught, they may not have been hungry, PAY LAKES FEED THE FISH, i never have known anyone that has done any good at a *******, maybe one fish, but thats it...******** are pretty garbage

12. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Dont feel bad flatheadchris , Iv been out several times this year and have yet to tangle with one. And as you , I have thrown everything but my tacklebox at them. Its still just a bit early for the flats where I fish at least thats what Im telling myself. at least Im telling myself that because I dont like to admit that maybe I should try anouther way, Ya any boby out there got some dynomite ( explosives ) Now i"d bet that would work better. Did I say that can"t belive I did. Keep trying and you"l prevail. and also WELCOME to B.O.C. Bigcatman0816.

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    You said it was crawling with fish, were any of them swimming, lol:roll_eyes:.
    Just kidding!!

Maybe next time try a different presentation of the bait, try a different rig or maybe a larger hook 5/0. Try a small float a foot or so from the hook to lift the bait off the bottom.
    Good luck Chris and welcome to the BOC!

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I fish almost always in the rural areas, but have fished years ago in a *******, I catch more in other places than I did there. What really matters is that you are fishing, for whatever species or wherever, it just all comes down to you ARE fishing.

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: COME ON FELLOWS GIVE POOR OLE FLATHEAD(CHRIS ) A BREAK. HE DON'T KNOW NOTHIN ABOUT THE RULES ON*** LKS.HE'S STILL LEARNIN LIKE SOME OF US NEWER MEMBERS.I'M SURE HE WON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN. BY THE WAY WELCOME TO THE BOC CHRIS. GREASTEST CATFISH SITE AROUND. HAVE ANY QUESTIONS SOMEONE ON HERE CAN MOST LIKELY ANSWER IT FOR YOU. AGAIN WELCOME.

16. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    it dosnt matter where you fish in the country if you know what your doing rivers and lakes are the way to go, i dont waste my time at ******** just dosnt make sense why people pay to fish a lake with people all around when you can fish areas on rivers and not see a person and catfishin is heck of alot better. plus like tea said all those big cats come from rivers probally at one time or another, much rather catch a "wild" cat instead of paying to fish stocked ones, just my opinion

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gosh Chris, sounds like they completly ate your lunch. I guess I am far more fortunate... I don't even know where a pay lake is in Oklahoma... Maybe we don't have any?

18. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    if there was more people like him ,the world would be a better place.:lol:

19. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    flatheadchris, not sure where in SC you are, but if you are anywhere near York county let me know. There are several places around here i go fishing without a boat, may not have bigguns, but there are fish.....

20. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Obviously, Your pond you were fishing in needed a different approach. However what I don't understand is that you said there aren't any public places to fish for the BIGGUNS I would suggest that you do alot more research about your surroundings. there are good bank fishing on all public lakes and rivers in just about ever area of the U.S. if you are willing to put in the time to find them. Deciding to go fishing a following every one to the easiest and most comfortable location to get to isn't always the answer to caught the "BIGGUNS" By the way what is a biggun anyway.