Trying for flathead catfish from bank in Texas.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bankfisher73, May 17, 2009.

1. bankfisher73

bankfisher73 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have always targeted blues from the bank but have become interested in looking for some flatheads. I luck out and catch about 1 smaller flattie a year fishing lakes. Would like to learn more about how to target them and what type of locations to look for in a lake. We don't have huge rivers like the Mississippi but we have quite a few smaller ones that have good current this time of year.I know absolutely nothing about bankfishing on a river but would love to learn. Any advice on how to get started would be much appreciated!

2. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    where at in texas are ya i imagine most of us could show ya a few spots

3. bankfisher73

bankfisher73 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey catman, I live in Dallas and normally fish Lavon, T-wok and Hubbard.

4. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    if u want to catch flatheads u got to stay out of the current, target eddys and slack water with large boulders,look at mouth of creeks running into main river that forms natural eddys.but the main thing is to stay out of the current 4 flats.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Look around for Sunken timber,stump fields,cliffs around shore that have boulders at their base, points near the main channel. I fish lakes a lot. Still waiting on the real big one.
    Rollo has an article in the members library that will be a good read for you and helpful. The thread is here in the flathead section somewhere as well.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1461643#post1461643 Here is a link to that thread hope this helps