Trying for a flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bhunt, Nov 28, 2006.

1. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I have caught blue catfish, channel cats and know would like to catch my first ever flathead. I have been told by many fisherman they are the hardest catfish to catch. I know this has probly been asked a hundred of times before but what is the best spring and summer baits for flatheads? The lake im going to be trying next year has a lot of shad and perch in it. I have also heard that shad are hard to keep a live so maybe perch is the answer. Thanks for any help.

2. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use shad and shad only and always alive, i put about 25 or 30 in my live well and keep it running all the time,, summer time they will stay alive for 3 or 4 hours,if i run out or they all die i go get some more,,, right now they will stay alive it seems forever,, waters about 50 degrees.

I have caught about 35 flathead in the last two weeks,,, just caught 4 more today

3. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Live pearch is what I use most of the time. Live "just about anythink will work" LOL Mudcats, carp, goldfish ect. If you can keep them alive shad are great bait. I catch flatheads on dead shad but not because that is what I'm fishing for with the dead shad. If i'm fishing for flats it's with live bait.

4. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In the spring I have the best luck fishing from 1 hour before sunset until about 3 hours after sunset they seem to feed early. You can catch them off dead and cut baits in the spring. In summer I fish from sunset until at least 1am it depends what im feeling. In summer I use live bluegills 4" does the best for me. I like fishing shallow water and current breaks with some type of cover in the spring. And deeper holes with lots of cover in the summer. Remember they dont spend their time in the deep water all night, they move onto banks and shallow flats at night to feed hope this answers your question. Good luck

5. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Any live fish is my favorite.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I catch most all my flatheads from rivers. But the anglers that catch the big flatheads in lakes in my area usually target crappie beds in shallow water mid to late spring. I have had success using live bluegills, creek chubs, suckers, and large goldfish. Your best chances in the spring would be after water temps are above 60 degrees. Good luck.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Hey B, if that resi you fish has a river pouring into it, fish up there. You will have more luck in the river. Look for any kind of wood cover in the spring when the water temps get above 50 degrees. Use the largest shad,gills or crappie, bass you can catch and toss em out near that wood and wait. you'll catch a flathead.

8. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use shad and sunfish.if i were u i would just try both and see wat the fishs preference is then just use that bait.