Trying carp fishing

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by catfishing is fun, Aug 17, 2006.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i have never been carp fishing before and i was wondering about the equitment i should use, i have a 7ft MH rod with a MH size spinning reel with 20lb test, the reel has really good drag so im not worried about that, i was wondering what "rigs" i should use, could i just use a caralina rig like i use for catfishing, also i was going to try corn or something else really cheap, but there are like 5 different types of caned corn and i was wondering what type was the best thanks for all your help....

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

whole kernel corn. and a #4-#6 hook.

3. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    do you mean #4 or #6 trebel or reglar hook, sorry for being clueless lol

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    What you have will work for carp. I use fiberglass for bait.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

regular j hooks. you can use treble but they must be small very small. But I am no expert and that is how I was taught so that is what i do. I use the long shank aka cricket hooks sometimes with are without the off-set (aberdeen)

6. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Your outfit will work fine for carp. Whole kernel canned corn is my standard bait for carping. I like to find a brand that has the largest kernels. Some of the generic brands tend to have smaller kernels.

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i think your combo will work fine for carp,the onley thing i would change would be the line.i try to stay between 12 and 17 pound test test but thats just me. i fish paylakes for carp at least once a week and my gear is 2 abu 6000's on mh berkley lightning rods,3 way rigs,17 pound test gold stren line,and millit or oat pack baits if u want some bait recipes shoot me a pm and i will be glade to help u out.

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Your setup sounds fine, similar to what I use. Personally when I go carp fishing, I use the least amount of weight possible, carp are very easily spooked, especially when large items hit the water. I usually just use a couple of split shots with a #2 eagle claw hook and fish slack water areas. I've noticed carp don't feed in heavy current, so you want to fish slower waters. I've seen them swimming in current before, large numbers of them too, but when I drifted some corn or a wheatys ball in front of them, I didn't get any takers. As for your corn question, any whole kernel sweet corn works well.

9. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Carp fishing is fun! my hubby made some Boilies for me, they smell so good, and they kinda look like candy:tounge_out: I use a hair rig and the Cutey Carps can't resist, they have a sweet tooth!!