Tryin to pattern fall flathead catfish, tell me what just happened!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by loanwizard, Oct 11, 2007.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    We had a cold front upon us. Last week in the 90's water temp then 66-67. Yesterday water temp 70. It dropped to 67 by morning low air temp 39-42 Brrr!

Fished a stretch with some assistance. Fished 20+ deep hole.

Set up approx 7pm. w/ Live gill, live shad, cut shad (2) and 9 inch smallie.

About 8:30 both the live gill and the live shad had runs. Missed both although had one on.

Normal fishing right? Sat til10:30 no more bites, could'nt get comittments from the fish. Both my live shad and gill were completely scaled.

10:30 went to pull in baits to reset while I nap. Two flatheads approx 5lb each. Both fish had not moved the bait yet one had swallowed an 8/0 Circle the other a 10/0 King Kahle. (I cut the lines and released, hope they make it)

Why are the just sitting on the baits without moving?

2. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I just had that problem last weekend. They would pick the bait up and hit it once. never commit to it. only ended up landing 1 fish about a 1lb flat that when i started reeling my pole in to check bait he was already on it i guess just sitting there with the hook in his mouth

3. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    weirdness.

I had the same thing happen to me Monday night, two different times. Didn't have a clue anything was on the lines until I went to pull 'em in...

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I've been doing some research (on water is the most fun), talking with people in the know, etc... I am thinking that as they prepare for winter and their metabolism slows markedly, that I will have to start watching my line a lot closer, and pay less attention to the rod and not expect the screaming runs. I have found that the swallowing of bait without moving is common at this time of year. I can't tell you how many times last night I would see the line relax, then tense, over and over again. (the boat was NOT moving).

Next question. To hook up with this type of bite, what hooks should I use. I have circle, King Kahle and Octopus (J style)?

This is the most fun learning I have had in years.

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have been having the same things also.. Hopefully now with this cold front that will start acting more aggressive and setting off my clicker more then just 4 clicks. I plan on hitting the White River around Monday or Tuesday.. Ill be sure to let you all know how it goes

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i was thinking myself to maybe switch to circle hooks and close the bail . maybe try that fishing with no clicker.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    This also has happened to me quite a bit in the last few nights. The sunny would get sevely attackes and your rod and line would be moving. Then the fish just let's it go. No real screaming run or anything. Just the fish attacking the bait. I just think it's small flatheads.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    If possible depending on current and bait size go to the smallest sinker possible on a carolina rig in the early fall when the temp changes rapidly. The fish get really finicky during this time. Fishing here this year was a real challenge because we are in a severe drought, the fish have been doing it to me also. I think that because there is hardly no current they can feel the sinker and they drop the bait, I went down to a 2oz no roll and I started catching more. Catfish will get less aggressive when you get a really fast temp change but once the temp stabilizes and they get used to it they will be really aggressive to put on weight for the winter. Tight lines everyone.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Exactly, I have found this common each fall with flatheads. They will seek food in the deeper holes and dont want to expend much energy chasing bait and feeding. However they do have the need to feed before the dormant months ahead. This is the best time of year to use live bluegills and cut the tail fins off or cut baits.

10. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
  11. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Michael thanks for that post hopefully i can put some of that info to use they have been on the lite bite in the rivers around here for the past 2 weeks or so.

12. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I don't really like "J" hooks but this is one of the few times they are better than circles. With the circle hooks you need the fish to be moving so the hook will work properly. Preferably swimming away. The"J" hooks on the other hand, can be used on a fish that just lies there and wont move.