tryin my luck on the yellow

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by bigmaac73, Jan 3, 2009.

1. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Well, even though the river wasn't nice to me at all this past year i aint quittin. I went out the past couple of days and got some shiners from the river, about 1.5 dozen alive and about the same about dead. Then I went out to the bay and got ahold of some finger mullet and some other salt water bait fish. I have never used them before but they sure do have a strong scent. I got the boat all ready and am headin out in just a few hours. I think I am going to try some new spots this time out. Water temp still has not dropped below 55 so I think I am going to stay away from the super deep holes and concentrate on the mid depth and structure. Havn't done this before but someone said to try and get right up on those cypres trees and fish straight down. And also do the same with the structure. Who knows, nothing else has worked. Thats the plan anyway, who knows whats actually gonna happen. I'll get back to ya when I get back this afternoon.

2. weinerdog

weinerdog Member

State:
    Florida
    Any luck yet?

I set some bush hooks out the week of Christmas and made a fair catch. Not great but it was enough for a fish fry. (6 channels about 3-4lbs each) I caught them on the Shoal River about a mile downstream from the Hwy 85 bridge. They were pretty slow to bite so it may be hit or miss if you're fishing rod and reel.

The bass seemed to be in a feeding frenzy. We caught several with nightcrawlers on rod and reel and a few inadvertently on our bush hooks too. They were absolutely devouring the bait and swallowed the hook on each one. (It's a pity 'cause it killed a couple of them before I could get the hook out.)

If you hang in there March will be a better month for cattin. The flatheads start biting then.

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'll be headed down to disney with the wife and daughter the end of march, anyway are there any flatheads around that area(orlando) or should i leave my gear at home and just hang out with mickey :confused2:

4. katslayer86

katslayer86 New Member

State:
    florida
    hey yall i have a weird question. i was fishing in my local catfishing hole in the river and i caught this goofy ass looking armored catfish. so i took it to UF and they said it was a brown holpo from south amereica and i was wondering if anyone else has encountered this dumb ass fish and if u can eat them?

5. weinerdog

weinerdog Member

State:
    Florida

I don't know about flatheads but there are lots and lots of canals around that look interesting.............I kick myself every time I go down and forget to bring my pole. The next time I go I plan on fishing them for sure. (There's got to be bass in there at least)

There are several canals and small ponds you could fish on International Dr near the intersection of Central Florida Pkwy. (I'm sure there are many more but these are pretty easy to find. Just drive up and down International Dr in that area and you'll see them.)

Let me know if you fish them and if there's anything in there!

6. weinerdog

weinerdog Member

State:
    Florida

I haven't seen come across one in NW FL but I found a couple posts from people that say you can eat them.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/thread?id=809350&postid=10035308