tryin braid

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by fishinfreak19D, Jan 1, 2010.

1. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    now im a die hard mono user, but im gonna give braid a shot, just cant make up my mind wether to get power pro or tug o war, i hear good reviews on each, and what do yall think is better. also how much backing do you usually put on your reels before the braided line? thanks in advance for your input

2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    def power pro. gotta watch either tho. on lil thing touchs that line and u got a prob spot. as far as spolling the mono on first i usually do about a quarter of my openface reels. then the rest braid. it just depends on ur reel size really. look into how many yds of line the reel u are usuing will hold. sometimes u might go half. really my advice something im gonna start doing is letting the tackle shop do it. i know how and always have myself but yesterday i was checking out there little machine they have and man it looked like it would be the way to go. im gonna have them spool mine this year and see how i like it. plus its quicker to have them do it and free if u buy the line there.

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    You can't go wrong with power pro for sure.I like it the best but I have started using pelagic spectra extreme braid in a flo. yellow color.I can buy a 1000 meters of it for less than 500 yards of pp.The main reason I switched to it is it is available in a flo. yellow that glows under a black light.I use it on 6600,6500,6000 abu's in the 60 pound line strength.I fish from a boat and put 200 yards on each reel.The pelagic line is almost the same in diameter as power pro as well it is .0157 diameter about the same as 16 pound test mono so it casts really well.Instead of using a backing I just wrap some electrical tape on the spool to start with.It seems to help it from digging in.Good luck

4. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I would go with the power pro, & about 10-20 yards of backing. I have local sporting goods store do it for me, It costs almost the same as if you do it your self & I personally find that they can get it on tighter & about 10-20 yards more of it, the spooler they have is wicked fast- no more sore arms for me. I have Calcuta 30 lb braid on my steelhead reels & it runs a close second to the Power Pro as far as I am concerned. I have 50 lb braid Power Pro on my new Okuma Avenger 55's for Cats & hopefully sturgon. Power pro tends to be a more supple braid and is round & more uniform than most of the other braid. Tying knots is a bit more chalenging, I use the Palomar Knot & an Improver Clinch knot (at least that's what I think it is called).

5. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    im goin to try braid this year myself hope it works as good on spinning reels as on baitcasters

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    ya'll gotta keep in mind that the braid has near zero stretch and therefore none of the shock absorbency of mono. you'll need to run a looser drag with the braid to keep a big fish from tearing a hook out on a hard run. with a baitcaster reel you can always thumb the spool for added drag as needed. nothing makes me madder that a poorly hooked BIG fish pulling loose.

7. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Dude, This is the first year I've used braid got 65# and 100# Power Pro and LOVE it LOVE it LOVE it. I personally just wrap enough mono to cover my spool 3 or 4 times also still use HEAVY mono leaders from swivel to hook for abraision resistance. The braid is way stronger but less durable on big fish teeth or when they roll and run and drag you across rocks or rough edges down below. :wink:

8. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    All I own are spinning reels & I have 6 with braided line, it works great with 1 exception -freezing. Since we fish for Steelhead & Sturgon during the winter moths I have found that to be the only problem, However I found a great fix for that---Spray Silicone, spray your spool with it till it is soaked & drippin, let it sit for an hour & do it again. I use Liquid Wrench Silicone in the red can DO NOT USE WD-40 or Penetrating Oil it will eat you line over time & is bad in general.

9. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I forgot to explain why Silicone keeps line from freezing. Since it is a BRAID it has micro gaps that fill with water, the silicone fills those gaps & repels water, thus elimenating freezing. I was told about this by a fly fisherman, it also makes the line float a bit so if you're using a slip bobber it it easier to keep your slack in check, bigg issue when we fish for Steelhead cause current & wind moves the bobber around.

10. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Catmax,dont sweat it.You will love the braid on your spinning reels.Just make sure you wind it on tight,or have a tackle shop do it and you wont have problems.I also recommend a flouro or mono leader so you have just a little stretch for hooksets,and it will break off if you get hung.I use
    around 60 to 70lb flouro or 50lb mono.

11. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Exactly what Lowercountry eluded to, due to the non-stretch of the braided line it is very wise to a mono or floro leader. I use a Brads #4 barrel swivell then tie on a mono leader for cats, & florocarbon for steelhead & trout. It is better to loose a hook & leader than to loose a bunch of braid.

12. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Never used the TOW Braid but hear alot of good things about it. I've only used PP and I dont think I will try any other braid. I use it in 65, 80, 100 and 150 for big cats and 40-50 for smaller cats. Works great, can never go back to Mono now except for backing (10-20 yds) and for leaders which is a must.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I've only used PP and I dont think I will try any other braid.>

Now don't get closed minded on us, Ramon. I said I would never use anything but PP either. Then, I tried Sufix Performance Braid. I like it as good, or better, but it cost MORE than PP!!

BB in SC

14. SS minner

SS minner New Member

State:
    California, Missouri
    Power Pro works excellent on Spinning tackle. You'll be amazed with how much more distance you'll get with braid. I,m thinking of trying it on my baitcaster this year, but am worried about getting it knotted up in the real if and when I make a bad cast!

15. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    This is gonna be my first year for braided line. I am going with Tug-O-War. But then I am new with braided line

16. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    POwer pro or Team catfish Tug-O-War...I always backed with mono..But got a tip on here about using electrical tape and i like the tape better!!!the braid lays on it way way better!!!

17. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I spool about 30 yds of 30lb test on my baitrunners and then fill with about 150 yds of 30 - 40 lb fireline. Power pro is good line and have a couple rods with it on but prefer Fireline. I just bought the new fireline braid at Cabelas, it comes in heavier test, supposedly rounder and thinner.