Try to help BOC brothers and look what I get for it!

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by TennesseeJugger, Oct 9, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Brothers & Sisters I shared my skipjack fishing report with everyone on catfish1.com and now I get a phone call last night from a friend of mine telling me to stop telling everyone on here where to get skipjack! He said that the reason you can not find any skips at Pickwik is due to all the commercial guides going there and fishing it out and that the local guys here do not want that to happen here. Frankly speaking I told that him I would share what ever the hell I wanted with my B.O.C. That this is a free country and that people can go were ever they want to fish. But I do understand his concern and would not want my bait source to get fished out. He told me that these commercial guys come down here and catch thousands of skips and take them back up north and sell them. He also told me that the TWRA is going to get a bill passed to regulate the crill limit to 100 per day. So with all this said you try to help someone out and it ends up bitten you in the but!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Tell him to join the B.O.C. Then maybe he would understand where your coming from.like your report is going to make any difference to commercial fisherman.They already know where to get bait.

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i understand your friends concern. bait, like anything else can be over harvested. but i am like you, anything to help a fellow fisherman. tennessee is right to put a creel limit since the commercial guys are taking advantage of ya'lls resources.

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think there needs to be a limit on skips. I see people take tons of them.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will help Boc members out all I can...But I dont like to post specific areas where I catch catfish, or even bait for that matter.

To many people fishing an area can ruin it.

Sounds like they need to put a limit on Skipjacks.

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    you think the commercials would be interested in using illegals for bait? i know wehre you can load up and it would be a hell of a job to put a dent in the population

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Don,
    Hence my signature....

As for the limit on skips, it's been a long time coming. I have said for ages that they would do it.
    It seems that in general, commercial fishermen the world over have a hard time regulating themselves and end up fishing out their own livlihood...W

8. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i dont know but havent seen commercial guys catching them on pickwick ,wilson or wheeler. again i dont know , limit can be a good thing

9. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    You can't please everyone so do what you think is right and try not to worry about it .Most people in the long run will respect you for that

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hmmm....been fishing for skips at the Cumberland City Steamplant and Cheatham dam for many years now. Gotta tell ya. I've not seen any commerciall fishermen in those spots. And do you have any idea how many skipjacks are born during their spawn each year? Go look it up and see for yourself. More than anyone could probably ever fish out. Skipjacks are pretty predictable, and I'm sure if anyone that wants them takes to the time to look in the right places, they'll find them. From my experience, just find some decent current, like at a dam or steam plant outlet(the warm water in winter helps too), or even in a creek with plenty of current and lot's and lot's of shad and you'll most likely find them. Most commercial fishermen I see are using big cast nets for shad, not skipjacks. They can get many times the bait for time expended that way. We've had years when the skipjacks just weren't easy to find too. It's just how they go sometimes. Right about now is when they should be starting to get back into the obvious places for all of us to catch. Just my thoughts.

11. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Well I also found out that the friend that called and complained to me was once a BOC but was kicked out! So there you have it!

12. festus

festus New Member

Wonder why he got kicked out?

Keep posting your reports, Jugger, most of the folks on here seem to respect the outdoors. Many of the folks who abuse our waterways wouldn't have a clue how to turn on a computer. And many more can't even speak English, let alone read.

13. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Should have CPRed them! :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:((:)crazy:)))

14. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Seems like skpis would be very hard to catch in a net, unless they were using one of those big trolling nets used in the ocean commercial fishing.
    Is that what they were doing? How were they depleting the skips out of that area?
    Just curious.

15. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    ill help my boc brothers and if sumone dont like it they can kiss my butt.and if i can help someone catch a fish then ask and ill draw them a map or they can get in the boat and ill show them!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused2:

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    The more you tell, the less people will tell you. I myself wouldn't want someone to broadcast the information that I gave them. If I help, I did it at a personal level to help you, and you only. I'm giving you information that I had to work for over many years. There is nothing wrong with giving tips etc but folks should earn their own way.

I don't give out spots and I NEVER ask for them either. I have a lot of pride working hard, and it paying off.

I really do appreciate the "help a brother out" attitude and I'm not trying to make anyone mad at me, but this is my attitude. I've fished with a lot of good catmen and I know their spots. Out of respect, I don't fish those spots and wouldn't even consider telling anyone else. This has earned me much respect and trust that enables me to fish with such good guys ; )

17. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    I have been one that if by some miracle I get on the fish good I dont mind sharing it with anyone.If they want to go fishing and I am going and got room in the boat I am for taking them.Cause they might can teach me something that I dont know.Always nice to have company in the boat with you and talking to.There is one friend on here wished our timing was alot better so we can spend time in the boat together.We been out a few times together and it was good well time spent.But that will be more future plans when I get back onto the water.But thanks Jugger for your input on thing and the rest of you that is what makes a forum good.We all get along do things together and tell each other what is working for us.